Girl killed by falling branch.

tommer9

This it truly tragic and my heart goes out to all concerned.

It would seem likely that this was "sumer branch drop", could those who are apportioning blame please tell me how they identify which branches on which trees are susceptible??

Last week more children will have been killed on our roads, than people were killed by trees last year

And as many children will have been killed by their parent or guardians in the last three weeks than people killed by trees last year.

Trees don't often cause people harm and on the odd occasion they do it may well of not been predictable.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

such sad news , my thoughts are with the families at this time

Please bare in mind that it is possible that someone who knew or was close to the girl/girls family may be reading this thread !!! our thoughts should be of sympathy at this time and not the blame or legal wranglings as to what hapened etc

Sorry mate, I can't read this and not reply..

If anybody owns a tree in a public place, be it parkland, town, open country estate, garden, whatever.. then they (the owner) has a duty to the public to make sure their trees are safe and that people don't die.

Blame is exactly what this situation is about, whether you like it or not, the facts speak for themselves.

How would you feel if your daughter had just been killed by a falling branch? You would immediately want to know what there was a branch ready to fall on somebody and then in time you would want to make sure the same thing didn't happen again.

It's not the time for winding your neck in, it is surely the time for people to realise that professional tree surveying, risk management, mitigation and corrective remedial action is absolutley 100% imperative.

A girl has died, and this is extremley sad, my deepest condolences go out to her family and friends.

However, was this an accident.... or an incident?

Personally.... to my mind it is an incident, a fatality, in a public place, caused through negligence. Budget constraints have no place here - if something is dangerous it needs sorted, or suffer blood on your hands.

I am fed up with the ammount of tree surveys I carry out that ultimately end up in with remedial works not being carried out, and am shocked that many land owners seriously believe that they can mitigate for dangerous trees by just having a survey and ignoring the works required to minimise risk.

As I understand it, presently around three people a year die from falling trees, branches etc.. how can you put a price on a life?

I would argue that rather than showing respect and winding ones neck in, it is about time that the general public, businesses and land owners were educated properly and forced to realise their liability and the issues caused through their negligence and ignorance.

Sorry to voice this aloud in a public forum but it needs said.

:congrats::congrats:

You are obviously a much more educated man than myself, i have been trying to get this sort of reply down on paper all weekend (it's been eating away at me) someone jumped on this thread and tried to apportion blame on teachers (who in my opinion do a wonderful job) for this tragic accident, and then tommer9(99) decided he was going to police it from some sort of moral high ground which infuriated me, never did i or anyone else disrespect this little girls untimely death. Mr B, if i have over stepped the mark here please feel free to delete this.

such sad news , my thoughts are with the families at this time

Please bare in mind that it is possible that someone who knew or was close to the girl/girls family may be reading this thread !!! our thoughts should be of sympathy at this time and not the blame or legal wranglings as to what hapened etc

I am certain even if they are reading this, they would value the "expert" opinions available herein.

Sympathy for their loss is evident, and again I would express my condolences for their loss.

As this is a subject that involves us all, and is important to our profession our interests and discussions around these cases are to be expected.

I am certain even if they are reading this, they would value the "expert" opinions available herein.

Sympathy for their loss is evident, and again I would express my condolences for their loss.

As this is a subject that involves us all, and is important to our profession our interests and discussions around these cases are to be expected.

Does this really have anything to do with ll of us ??? I would think that anyone involved in this case would not be entring into such converstion on a public forum . The corronors report and findings of the inquest should be thurough enough dont you think ?

As I understand it, presently around three people a year die from falling trees, branches etc.. how can you put a price on a life?

I would argue that rather than showing respect and winding ones neck in, it is about time that the general public, businesses and land owners were educated properly and forced to realise their liability and the issues caused through their negligence and ignorance.

I agree with the sentiment but how do we reduce this number to zero deaths per year? With the unpredictable nature of tree failure can the threat be managed. For example how can we stop limbs being shed from trees in gales or summer branch drop?

WTF????

Dont call your self confessed lack of intelligence into the thread any further than you already have:001_rolleyes:

Tommer you have been in and out of this part of the forum many times since i posted what i said, if thats the best you can come up with best you go to bed. If you want to take this any further please do it in a pm to me and leave this thread to sort it's self out without you trying to be holier than thou.

Last week more children will have been killed on our roads, than people were killed by trees last year

last week "children" will have spent hundreds of thousands if not multiple millions more hours collectively on “roads” than the total duration they will have spent actually under trees, ergo it is expected that more children would die on the roads than under trees and there to be an order of magnitude difference between the death figures for trees vs. roads, however that that dose not mean trees are safer because there are less deaths.

When you drive down the road, walk down the pavement/verge you will pass under trees however the duration you will actually spend under trees will be many times less than the journey duration mostly.

And as many children will have been killed by their parent or guardians in the last three weeks than people killed by trees last year.

Again children will have definitely spent many millions more hours in the company of there parent or guardians in the “3 week” period you talk of than the time they spent under trees.

if you want silly statistics, I would image that there were more people killed by trees last year than were killed by people in star wars imperial storm trooper outfits at conventions, so dose that make people in star wars imperial storm trooper outfits at conventions safer than trees or “normal” people you may meet randomly in any given year.