Water proofs

conkers

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Stihl flexothane one that is good for ground work but not that good up the tree, but the rain runs off and it'll drip dry overnight (apart from the fabric collar!:thumbdown:).

Yet to find a good waterproof jacket for up trees, that's cheap / tough enough, just get changed when i come down!

http://www.countrycovers.co.uk does some good stuff, resonably priced too (some of it). My boss has an amazing jacket I wear when he isn't with us, it was handmade, cost about £200. It's a waxed material. I can't remember where he got it but I'll find out.

Apparently the gaurantee on the country-covers stuff also stands if you damage the stuff.

I agree on the Army surplus waterproofs. I paid £30 for the jacket and £20 for the trousers. When they get ripped (mine have lasted a couple of years), get a new set. Make sure you wear a hi-viz on the ground though, I've nearly been run over a couple of times - no one can see you!:scared1:

Gore tex is the best but expensive so I would agree ex army is the way forward.

After that, any waterproof clothing can be cleaned and reproofed using special cleansers. Goretex is more sophisticated than these cleansers so even though they would work, the goretex would never be quite the same as when it was new. Generally the crud of tree work is the demise for goretex, even though its a good product.

I use Northface Hy-vent. Cheaper than goretex and not quite as good, which is perfect, as I can wash and reproof it as much as I like.

After a hard day whne its all grimy and mucky I can have it washed and ready to go by the morning.

These products work well on Stihl Hyflex too.

http://tinyurl.com/2bl5uz