businessman Or arborist

Yorkshireman

Not quite sure what you mean by that Oliver.. ?

I made an informed descion...

Yep and a wise one IMo , the wacky world of business is always somewhere you can return :scared1:

talking to guys from all over the uk, there appears ! to have been a mad rush into arb over the last two years, WITH many new start up ventures, SOME BY the starry eyed kit monsters, who end up all fighting for customers, (that if rumour mongors are to be listened to re the 'credit crunch ') will get harder & harder to find

my point are some too easily tempted by the latest hipe over equipment & the kudos of that big TD job As imo Big Td's arent as profitable as some other types of work, also big shiney kit on its own 'doesnt' pay overheads it causes them !

its easy to over extend, especially if the crunch does bite ?

just thoughts !!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good points made there Ian, I have got a lot of kit, but I always waited till I had the work to justify the gear!

I made do with a 3.5 tonner until I was working 5 days flat out, always full (or over:blushing:) so when I bought my first mog I was able to do in 5 days what would have taken 6 or 7 days with the 3.5 tonner, so the mog was paying for its self and making me more profit:001_cool:

As I said to a guy who was saying he wanted to get a mog "they don't come with an order book full of jobs under the seat".

Get the work FIRST, not the gear, IMO.

Very good points made there Ian, I have got a lot of kit, but I always waited till I had the work to justify the gear!

I made do with a 3.5 tonner until I was working 5 days flat out, always full (or over:blushing:) so when I bought my first mog I was able to do in 5 days what would have taken 6 or 7 days with the 3.5 tonner, so the mog was paying for its self and making me more profit:001_cool:

As I said to a guy who was saying he wanted to get a mog "they don't come with an order book full of jobs under the seat".

Get the work FIRST, not the gear, IMO.

:thumbup1:

(Thats what I keep telling myself im trying to do :mad1:)

With more tree companies means lower pricing therefore we will end up going bust or working for really poor money.

You can be superarbman with more kit than batman but if your prices are even £20 high your going to suffer.

My thing is how are we meant to offer excellent jobs when people want to pay peanuts.

You can be superarbman with more kit than batman but if your prices are even £20 high your going to suffer.

My thing is how are we meant to offer excellent jobs when people want to pay peanuts.

All I can say is you mustn't be selling yourself well enough.

No insult intended.

You can tell within a matter of minutes whether the customer is price orientated. Sometimes you can tell from the first sentence on the phone, which is normally, "Can I have a free estimate"

Surely if you love the job enough, and are prepared for the hard graft that goes with it, you don't need all the gadgets/gizmos/big boys toys???

Admitedly, they're as cool as a polar bear wearing sunglasses, but at the end of the day, what's cheaper to run.... a grab lorry or a groundsman with big arms???