businessman Or arborist

Yorkshireman

Yes defo get the work first and kit after.

You shouldn't have to change your pricing when you buy bigger kit you should just get through the work quicker and do more in a day.

I agree with all that Matt, Well said !

only BUT I make is

debt is a bitch, if you dont have enough monies coming in, to cover whats going out, it really doesnt take long for it to go nasty !

& I have seen far too many ARb co's who start up, in a blaze of glory "& who are going to break eggs with a big stick" Buy mega amounts of everything but sod all work to do & then a year or maybe two later (if their lucky)

BANG !

slowly slowly catchy monkey !

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but at the end of the day, what's cheaper to run.... a grab lorry or a groundsman with big arms???

If you have enough work the grab lorry will make you far,far,far, more profit!!

Plus it won't call in to say it got a hangover, have girlfriend trouble, hurt themselves and put in a claim or set up in competition!

When I was an employed arborist straight out of college I wanted to do everything and be the best at everything, the best climber the best hi-ab operator the best stumpgrinder operator, the at dismantling etc.

Now I run a tree company I want that company to be the best it can be.

I want to be the best (manager if you like) I did not take to my post very well at first as I prefered to be out on site with the lads but once you realise what your role within the company is Ie to develop the compay and its staff, kit clients etc its a pretty exiting job. and I now love it.

I agree with all the above posts about getting in the work before you splash out on gear. My rule is if I've got enough work for 3 lads i'll employ 2 and if have enough work for 6 I'll employ 4 and keep them busy.

I'll hire kit as much as possible until my account tells me stop and but something

I also spent a lot of time (and a lot of money) developing the quality side of the business to the point where like mentioned above I can sell the quality aspect to the cumstomer in return for better priced work.

I admire anyone who resists expansion and keeps it to one team or even just themselves but I have had to grow to keep up with demand. I do have spent the last 2 days on site driving our big mog with the crane, as we are a little short staffed and it has been like a holiday, soaking wet both days but huge fun and an enjoyable change from writing method statements etc.

I keep my prices consistant to ensure continuity, that way I get loads of repeat business, I also have a few contract which are on schedule of rates so the price remains pretty much the same for 3 or 5 years. I know where your coming from though, but I think we are probably charging more that enyone else in our area.

the problem i found with doing more in a day because you had the kit was a breakdown or the weather can really back the work up, and with that came clients being let down and stress for me, i down sized and find it works better for me, moneys not the same but i would only spend it anyway !!

I keep my prices consistant to ensure continuity, that way I get loads of repeat business, I also have a few contract which are on schedule of rates so the price remains pretty much the same for 3 or 5 years. I know where your coming from though, but I think we are probably charging more that enyone else in our area.

I didn't want to become a manager, so I upped what I wanted by £100 a day, cut back to me plus one man and have never looked back!

its a hard onr realy I think most people start out as a climber get to the top of a company. Then start there own thing up some do well some dont.

Im not the best business man around but i do think if you sell your self well from the start and keep customers well informed you will keep your self busy.