Hows the log sales going now

mendiplogs

we are going mad selling to our retailers the garages and farmshops etc and our domestic tip loads are very slow, i put it down to people havent got the money for a big load but will buy a few nets if they need to light their fire and spend a tenner instead of £100

joy

Hmm it's definately different here. We're doing plenty of domestic deliveries and I've got people taking 2 and 3 loads at a time at £355. I'm assuming your supplying to a lot of folk with open fires? Could you somehow target people with wood burners more? I find a lot of folk with open fires are generally the older generations that won't spend their money whereas the younger guys with the wood burners are a bit more willing to part with their money for a decent product.

weve got even more people with grants setup now flooding the market with v.cheaphardwood , they are even selling it cheaper than we can get it by the tonne!

this grant system for farmers to buy firewood processors has in my opinion gone too far, within a 10mile radius i know of 5 people now setup with grant firewood processors who never sold stuff before and about another 7 selling wood without grant aid who are new to the market.

in about 5 years time i can see the firewood game finished as the longtermers are pushed out by the get rich quick beer money brigade and it will go the way of the milk game only a big few nationwiders supplying the market as the likes of these so called government bods. recommending woodland owners to sell to the big guys.

peeved off

joy

doing 2 loads a weeks for the last few weeks. People starting to order when they get down on last years stocks. Its so warm!! Had sales via local paper advert so may keep doing that. Is it legal to put signs up roadside?

IM very lucky that i know all the farmers locally so cable tie them to there fences road side at big junctions . Then my missus family have a big garage as you leave the local Morrison so there is a large sign on there verge when i do any work locally i put a sandwich board outside advertising us and logs got a lot of work and sales from it , tend not to do it in the more affluent areas .If you use road signs to attach your signs they will be taken down . I have one sign on council land and its been there two weeks with no problems .:001_smile:

we are going mad selling to our retailers the garages and farmshops etc and our domestic tip loads are very slow, i put it down to people havent got the money for a big load but will buy a few nets if they need to light their fire and spend a tenner instead of £100

joy

I think its got more to do with it being the warmest november on record, i know 3 big firewood outfits near me who all say they have never known it so quiet, just wat for a few frosts after all there's a lot of new woodburners being fitted and they will all want logs once it gets colder:thumbup:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-thoughts-2011;sess=

Long term weather forecast currently suggests it'll get cold in the second half of January. Things should pick up then, but I think those who were planning on being the only ones with logs left in the second half of the winter may be disappointed.

Edited by hardtop110

weve got even more people with grants setup now flooding the market with v.cheaphardwood , they are even selling it cheaper than we can get it by the tonne!

this grant system for farmers to buy firewood processors has in my opinion gone too far, within a 10mile radius i know of 5 people now setup with grant firewood processors who never sold stuff before and about another 7 selling wood without grant aid who are new to the market.

in about 5 years time i can see the firewood game finished as the longtermers are pushed out by the get rich quick beer money brigade and it will go the way of the milk game only a big few nationwiders supplying the market as the likes of these so called government bods. recommending woodland owners to sell to the big guys.

peeved off

joy

Couldnt agree more - ive been selling for 25 years approx and ive never seen so many selling utter crap for beer money , weve got one local whose put up boards all over south derbyshire advertising for £50 per load ! ive got approx 250 tons of 18 month seasoned hardwood which i cant shift- best weve ever had and its just sitting there , ive also got 2 ex employees who have set up in competition trying to undercut me. I can only hope they are all selling as little as we are and will soon get board and move on to some other get rich quick scheme!!:thumbdown: