Unimog - Driving Licence

Essex arborist

No, you may need to clean you radiator.
yeah ood idea , we have just changed the coolant but may well speak to alex and get a bigger rad . but will try flushing the rad for now .

As for hills i know they are not quite like scotish hills but some are fairly steep but really long . i did find that having the chipper on the front didnt help as it covered to much of the rad.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah ood idea , we have just changed the coolant but may well speak to alex and get a bigger rad . but will try flushing the rad for now . As for hills i know they are not quite like scotish hills but some are fairly steep but really long . i did find that having the chipper on the front didnt help as it covered to much of the rad.

No, its the out side that will need cleaning, they get full of wood dust. Blow it out with a compressor.

I've put some very fine SS mesh over mine, works a treat.

Huck do you find that when your mog is fully loaded and driving up steep hills the engine temp fises from around 80 degrees to 90-95 ?

my 1600 has done that for past 3yrs. seems it only started doing that when i fitted the new 550 on the front. the new one runs off the mogs hydraulics, whereas the old one had its own pump. i've had several people look at it and none can get to the bottom of it. i had the rad recored and made no diff... i have to blow the rad out at least twice a day to keep temperature below 80. i think its summin to do with the spool valve runnin all day, cos i never used to blow rad out from one month to next with the old chipper.. i no it was bit smaller but that shouldnt make a diff. i would willingly pay a £1000 to sort that problem out..

my 1600 has done that for past 3yrs. seems it only started doing that when i fitted the new 550 on the front. the new one runs off the mogs hydraulics, whereas the old one had its own pump. i've had several people look at it and none can get to the bottom of it. i had the rad recored and made no diff... i have to blow the rad out at least twice a day to keep temperature below 80. i think its summin to do with the spool valve runnin all day, cos i never used to blow rad out from one month to next with the old chipper.. i no it was bit smaller but that shouldnt make a diff. i would willingly pay a £1000 to sort that problem out..

Fit one of those electronically reversing fans? The ones that turn the angle of the blades so it reverses flow and cleans the rad every 10 mins.

Would you like to write a check or do you prefer bacs :biggrin::biggrin:

I am surprised that re coring the rad didn’t cure the problem, it is the industry standard panacea.

Have you temp checked the hydraulic system? How’s the oil cooler look? The pump shouldn’t be taking significant HP to run.

A couple of suggestions, assuming these haven’t been tried yet…..

Temp check the Oil system

Investigate the oil cooler

It can’t be that big of a job to fit a pump and tank to the 550 to make it self contained. (Certainly under a grand)

Andy