best stump treatment?

Czlowiek Drzewo

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "help prevent" bit is important, that way you aren't saying it will kill the stump. I was caught out with that once.

If you are mainly domestic, it can be a good way of promoting yourself as many private customers ask if the treatment will be safe with kids, pets or wildlife. They seem to associate salt as not being nasty, but it will work.

What happens when it washes into surrounding area?

It does leach a little, but the amount you put on is the critical bit. Generally we score the stump two chains wide and about an inch deep then fill with salt. Thats usually enough to work and doesnt steralise a huge area if washed out.

News to me too.

Actually though the world health organisation rate salt as more dangerous than roundup don't they?

What you're saying though is that it doesn't have a COSHH label as it's a foodstuff- But if used as a poison then technically should you consider it's danger.

I don't know about this - just seeing your reaction- maybe this is the 'green' way forward. Certainly customers would feel safer.:thumbup:

Salt is a new one on me too! got a few small ash stumps to treat this week so i'll give it a go!

I normally mix glyphosphate with wall paper paste and food colouring to make sure it stays contained to the stump. Anyone tried this with salt too?

My mate got a job a few years back and the lady of the house wasn't gonna pay unless he killed the stump so he drove of and picked up some bleach and vimto mixed the two together and poured the lot on the stump and told her not to let the dog out for 3 months .... Yep I know so wrong but I laughed for a week and every time I think of it still gives me a giggle lol

From Bobs iPhone