Anchor points for branch walking

will.morris

Hi.

At college we have always been taught to work off 2 anchor points when branch walking I suppose for safety if you do fall off. But I was just after some opinions if this is acceptable in the eyes of an employer. I always just use 1 anchor point for branch walks but have to admit as a novice climber I have had a few scary moments when I've been really far out on branches, especially when they are slippery or just very tricky and I know that my technique would not be as good as someone experienced.

Just wondered if an employer would find this acceptable or think I'm taking the pee wasting time. Also would any of you more experienced guys use 2 if it was a particularly big walk?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use one of those steel lined strops for an additional line round the branch itself if it gets hairy,

plus its a second line for the climb itself.

sorting out another anchor point higher up would probably be met with some heavy sighs

and muttering on the ground, unless you were really fast or it was v. dangerous.

But like the man said don't feel pressured into doing things that scare you. although obviously you have got to push it a bit.

Cheers for the response guys.

I just wondered if many people did it, I've never seen a tree surgeon doing it whilst I've been working for them so I have pushed myself to do everything off 1 ... which did result in a nasty swing 2 weeks ago but all part of the learning/fun I suppose!

Same with spiking, a few people on our course insist on having a running bowline as a back up but I know no-one in the real world uses one so I don't either ... scary in the wind we had yesterday though :laugh1:

Hi.

At college we have always been taught to work off 2 anchor points when branch walking I suppose for safety if you do fall off. But I was just after some opinions if this is acceptable in the eyes of an employer. I always just use 1 anchor point for branch walks but have to admit as a novice climber I have had a few scary moments when I've been really far out on branches, especially when they are slippery or just very tricky and I know that my technique would not be as good as someone experienced.

Just wondered if an employer would find this acceptable or think I'm taking the pee wasting time. Also would any of you more experienced guys use 2 if it was a particularly big walk?

I don't suppose you go to kirkley hall- the name rings a bell.

It's all personal preference, I'm sure most people hardly ever use 2 anchor points but for long branch walks or wide multi stems it's great, it's the only way some times you can be in a good working position, and to be honest if your collage teacher teaches you it, it's worth learning, and if you do go to kirkley hall just ask pete b.

Cheers ciaran glyde

hi, i have a few reccomendations ill try and post some photos tomorow at work for you if we do anything like it but i use the tail of my rope to lower me in kind of like a m rig but not as complicaed and all you need is the rope your on i have a 5m lanyard which i use single line alot which helps but its up to you. you have to be safe and happy we have a apprentice here and if there isnt so much to clear up and im climbing he gets in the tree and just climbs about and gets on the tips and then in then another it helps him alot and really worth doing.

not sure about the employer situation if were in a hurry then we dont let the apprentice do it but where possible we do, it does take time to learn and try lots of things but some times the best way is a few hard climbs i remember as a trainee some horrible climbs i just diodnt want to do or be in but they all helped. ill try and get some photos up for you but i normally forget so dont hold your breath.

Best practice says you should avoid a “swing in” situation.

27 Climbers should carry an adjustable lanyard, to provide (when appropriate) a secondary anchor to prevent the risk of pendulum swing. Lanyards are a key part of a treeclimbing system and have many uses, particularly as a supplementary loadbearing anchor point when working in the crown or when changing anchor points.

An employer ought to be ensuring that best practice is complied with and that your working practices are safe, primarily so you stay safe and secondly in the event of an accident your employer may need to show the HSE that you were told.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/afag401.pdf

Same with spiking, a few people on our course insist on having a running bowline as a back up but I know no-one in the real world uses one so I don't either ... scary in the wind we had yesterday though :laugh1:

:confused1: Don't they? Do you mean that you spike with just the flip line then? What if you need equipment sent up or need to send the saw down?:001_smile: