Vermeer or Bandit?

Taupotreeman

Hi Scottie, What timing I am looking at at the Bandit 90 at the moment with Mel

at Big chip, had one a fe years ago on demo and tried the 150 at his yard, the 150 to big and weight is an issue, however my concern is " the flywheel is at an angle to the feed rollers with a big gap and a lot of our work is Leyland and Lawson, cedar etc.. Will it clog!!!

Had a 65 on hire this week as have my own chipper breakdowns and my lads did not like it, even through the flywheel is not at a angle it is still a big gap and through most of the trimmings out of the bottom, so we had bin loads of small twigs and cuttings to load. Would hate to spend my 20,000 and it not chip conifer.

I know we should not compare the 65 to the 90 but nervous of buying a "yellow Elephant"

Also cant get a demo only has one new one in stock.

Cheers

Wattie

Hi kev

there is a yellow bandit 90 on ebay and its only in Redhill and seems a good price with very low hours i think it is only a couple of years old worth a 30 min drive to have a look ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What chipper does like Lawson or leylandii?? I found with the Bandit 150 you could feed it conifer all day but to be honest it does eventually clog up and you need to keep reversing the rollers to pull it out then feed it in again. I sometimes think it would be just as quick to throw the damn stuff staight in to the back of the truck!

What chipper does like Lawson or leylandii?? I found with the Bandit 150 you could feed it conifer all day but to be honest it does eventually clog up and you need to keep reversing the rollers to pull it out then feed it in again. I sometimes think it would be just as quick to throw the damn stuff staight in to the back of the truck!

My old whisper chipper swallows all cypress no worries. It'll take cabbage tree fronds too and hasn't blocked up yet. Stuff goes through it so fast it doesn't get chance to block up. The only stuff it doesn't like is vine and the like but only because it has no feed rollers to grab the material and drag it through. For a dinosaur it's been a fine machine, especially considering what it cost me to buy and what it costs in maintenance.

The bandits.....and any other chipper for that matter...will cope with Conifer if the blades are SHARP.

The only problems I have had with conifer was when it was wet and that was a Gandini, but I solved that problem by drilling air holes in the drum casing so it threw more air out with the chip.

The only issue I have now with my Bandit is the roof of the inlet opening tapers down behind the top roller, so if you feed a piece slightly bigger that 6" it will go past the rollers then jam hard into the taper

In other words, the rollers will allow a bigger piece that it can take past them and you only find out it is too big when it jams, so now if I am doubtful I feed the thickest end in first

vermeer.

Bandit

Wasn't entirely convinced by the last Vermeer I used. Granted it was in a questionable state of maintenance, however my old bandit continues to go like a dream in it's second decade of work, and it's only got one roller yet it still hauls ass. Bomb proof IMO, and let's face it, reliability and ease of repair is ever more important