A very dodgy firm to work for.

Dave Martin

Hey its something that was forwarded to me on the net and of course as we all know everything on the internet is true :sneaky2: but I am sure it is a play on statistics to make a valid point.

all right I am not going to get all antsy about it but how can a load of lies make a valid point, its not a play on stats its downright nonsense ps, Hama its naive.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drink driving is a reasonable example:

Think of people you know. Has 1 in 7.6 of them been arrested for drink driving in the past year?

Now take into account how many drink driving stops would not have been recorded/an arrest made because the MP does a deal with the policeman whos stops him.

I doubt this particular statistic is as cut and dry as it might seem.

There are three kinds of lies. Lies, damned lies and statistics. (Mark Twain)

Ha, that was going to be my contribution :laugh1:. The original post makes an interesting point though.

Moaning about "our" politions is easy. Getting off your backside and actually doing something to make a change requires a bit of effort on our part. Unfortunately, too many of us are content to do the former :thumbdown:

Almost true Janey - we recently had an an election and what was the turnout?

An election is a method of effecting change although we (the electorate) can only change it into something else on the paper! That is not really "change" in the manner you prescribe.

If one thinks that one can do better, then please, be my guest and start to try! We will soon find that we will swap one shower for another, but they will have less credibility and experience. (regrettably)

Edited by PeteB

There is of course the age old question "how do you know if a politician is lying?"

The answer, of course, is "his (or her) lips are moving".

(Can also be applied to lawyers, presidents, and just about anyone else really).