Cutting and holding!

Mozza

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If money talks you need to sell your self and tell the cleint the difference between you and the loppers and toppers, and the extra cost they can bring. eg damage, mess, crap job, f**k trees that will contiune to need more money spent on them, TPO fines, no insurance.... the list gose on.

we'll have to disagree on this one alex, personally i cant think of anything less professional than running down your competitors to the client.....when im talking to a client all i want them focussed on is what I can do for them

If money talks you need to sell your self and tell the cleint the difference between you and the loppers and toppers,

Sorry Alex, you've got the wrong end of the stick, I was being sarcastic to some on here.

The "money talks, ask the loppers" comment was just to wind up those on here that said they would top trees just for the money :001_tongue:

What I meant by, you can't price jobs to do by the book is:

If you price to do a large takedown by the book, ie two handed saw handling, step cuts, no hand helds, rigging every single branch down. Your price would be so high you'd never get work.

For example, one of my shortcuts is to drop a big pile of brash at the base of the tree and send the big discs down onto it, far quicker than rigging down. There are shortcut that are safe without being a cowboy.

One of your statements is spot on, do the job right, don't break any of their roses or fence panels and leave the job spotless and they won't get quotes next time, they just have you whatever

Alex you need to lighten up about the cut and hold thing. I don't klnow how long you have been climbing, but I cut and hold on many/most jobs. I honestly don't think you can be competative if you don't. Anything you cut and hold is going to be too small to bother rigging down, you can do step cuts but sometimes you just need to get on with it and cutting and holding is the easiest and safest way.

You have to be aware.. and the 2 inches in the original post sounds a bit on the close side to me.

Cut and hold with a chain saw?

In my eyes if some one needs use this methord they can't have a brain, you want to cut your self with a chain saw, use it one handed you want that cut to put you out of work for life or in a wooden box cut and hold.

Come on its a chainsaw not a nuclear warhead.

I've had several cuts in the long distance past with an 020 none from cutting and holding i might add, and I'm still here doing a top job quicker than most :001_tongue:

Youve just got to be aware of what you are doing there are dangers in lots of things we do with saws in trees. Cut and holding is a useful technique. If you are trying to step cut conifer branches sometimes the weight of the foliage at the tips of the branch and torsion in the wood means sideways step cuts dont work. Cutting and holding with a sharp silky is preferable but with a top handle is also fine you have just got to be careful.