Cutting and holding!

Mozza

Bit of a story behind this.

Was at work today, My Foreman went up a Sycamore that was to section fell, there was a fence under it that couldnt be damaged, Anyway he did the easy bits first and i sned it then chipped it, It got to the tricky bit over the fence, He did a few branches with step cuts and then started to hold the branch and cut threw it BUT his fingers were literally 2 0r 3 inches away from the running saw, very very close, How he didnt cut himself ill never know, He is a very very good climber but i thought id mention it as id be the giving first aid, The response i got was "what the F*** do you know youve only be climbing 18 months" Cutting and holding has it place sure but...........

Would you guys (experienced climbers) really cut and hold 2 inches from your hand??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems pretty close to me mate. I try to keep my fingers more than 2 inches away from my Silky!!!. Maybe he was at the limits of his reach. Why did you not lower the branches down???

If your at the limits of your reach then that is when you would use a silky? And you can cut with that so its touching your hand if you want, just as long as it not the toothed side!!

Seems pretty close to me mate. I try to keep my fingers more than 2 inches away from my Silky!!!. Maybe he was at the limits of his reach. Why did you not lower the branches down???

I had the lowering rope out but it was apparantly quicker to cut and hold!

Just a note, i havnt put up this thread to have a dig at my workmate, quite the opposite, was just wondering what the forum thinks!!

I cut and hold some times but i always ready myself for kick back and make sure my arm is as far away from the blade. Then i keep the saw revving only as much as needed. But i only do this with small diameter branches i can easily manage any thing bigger i would rather rope down.

Its the same as one handing we all do it so its a case of being aware of what your doing.

I would never cut any where within an arms length saws slip and thats your lot.

I've seen and adminster'd 1st aid to those who have cut and held, its not pretty.

Having said that i cut and hold sometimes usually spiking leylandie's its possible to do it safely imo, they tell you in college or on your nptc's never to cut and hold because its dangerous i kinda disagree and think it should be brought up that in the real world situations will possibly arise for cutting and holding.

I don't want to dig at you colleague but it sounds as though he has a few habits, sometimes it hard to change old climbers ways. You know its wrong so don't fall into the trap of using bad practice just cause you see others doing it.

If your at the limits of your reach then that is when you would use a silky? And you can cut with that so its touching your hand if you want, just as long as it not the toothed side!!

Agree totally i was just trying to make a point mate... silkys are dangerous enough to have you hand that close we all know how badly a silky can bite!! Saws have the potential to be much worse!!!

We take risks every time we climb the experienced climbers have learnt how to limit exposure to these such events but you cant avoid them some time.

Time is of the esence unfortunatly i know i maybe should not cut and hold but i also know in 5 years of doing it i have done my best to avoid injury.

BUT it only takes one slip i would like to see peoples injurys it would help kick bad habbits all courses should have detailed pictures of why not to do things.

I cut and hold probably 90% of the time but 2 inches is a bit close! If the saw skids along the branch then theres not much time before it will get ya.

Having a guess I would say that most of the time I have the saw about 6-9 inches from my hand.

Not something I would recomend to a beginner but we all do it (well most) so if you aint sure then atleast start the cut without having your hand anywhere near it, then when the saw is in a bit you can hold the branch. Will help prevent it skidding.

Most important though make sure you allways have a nice sharp saw. And make sure you know you can easily hold the branch, It can pull you in towards the saw :scared1:

Anyway thats why God invented the 020 :001_smile: