How would you tackle this?

Lyn Ed

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graft I think is the answer to that one. I'm sure you've made the owners aware of the risk to the walls; the danger is closer in time if you remove the stump but the rotting of the roots is going to affect them anyway in the long run.

It looks like you may be able to split the front half off the stump with wedges or bazookas. A mattock will see good service there but getting the front half off will help a lot as you'll then be able to undermine the rest. Is there a potential anchor across the garden so that you can pull - dig - pull the back half?

I always keep my last pruning saw for sawing roots; that may be handy too.

Or you could go for sh*t or bust and hook a bucket over the whole thing.

get a tirfor round it and as you winch it out cut the roots that are under the wall freeing the rest to come out. Probably best inform the customer that there may be damage to the wall as it will leave a big whole right under it and the wall may collapse into it.

Why have they built a wall around that in the first place is what I'm thinking!

:confused1:

It's going to be a ball ache whatever you do

You could airspade around all of those big roots and then consider winching it out... making sure all the roots in connection with the wall have been severed before doing so :P

Grafting it out would be killer, man...

Hope you find a solution that works well for you

Edited by Harrison2604

I've had reasonable results from the stage you're at using a pressure washer last thing to clear the root ball, particularly underneath. In the morning it's soaked away and you can get in with a handsaw and know you're not trying to cut flints. Otherwise it's mattock and graft.

Alec

I am a little confused, is there a reason you cannot use a grinder? if not then there is your answer, "end of" as the youths say, all this talk of mattocks and wedges and winches is, frankly nuts. 1 hr max with any pro stumpgrinder.