Firewood Employee

Dave Martin

You can employ casual labour but not cash in hand. If your employing them then you need to pay PAYE and NI. Also yeah.....insurance would be necessary but probably pointless as the first thing most people do is remove all guards and safety features from a firewood processor so any insurance would be invalid.

Suppose you'd just have to cross your fingers and hope that everyone keeps theirs!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would've thought £6-£7 an hour was a fair rate, slightly more if they're self employed

I would have to be starving to process logs for £6-7 an hour, its bloody hard graft, i would go and stack shelfs in Tesco first for that sort of money.

I would say if you didn't know the lad put him on minimum wage and temporary basis until he proves himself then pay him what he's worth to you:)

Fair comment lorry, i pay the lads that help me out in the winter £10 a hour, they are both good grafters they don't need telling they get on not only with the logging but if we have a breakdown they are both on the tools, two good lads.

I know loads of lads who offer to work for free for a week or whatever to get a job as they know when they prove themselves they get paid:) I've set up with my bro and we just get freelance lads in when needed, I'd hate to employ someone who turns out to be lazy and have you by the danglys because you need a valid reason to let them go.

the two lads that help me are a farther and son set up, used the farther for a few years now(proper grafter) when his son started doing odd days for me he was 16 and next door to useless until one day when i gave him a proper bollocking in front of his old man, i thought this is'nt going to go down well with the old man, his old man said to him i told you so and the boys been as good as gold ever since.

I've been wondering the same and seen as it's an un-skilled job that needs no qualifications i'd be looking at the basic wage you'd pay a labourer. £80 a day i thought.

funny... there's many a debate on here where people won't pay skilled groundsmen and climbers £80 a day. :001_huh:

funny... there's many a debate on here where people won't pay skilled groundsmen and climbers £80 a day. :001_huh:

It's a subjective argument, people pay what they believe a groundsman or wood processor man is worth to them, i've done and do both.

Wood processing is a difficult job at times, depending on how much you want as an output, and rain (mine wasn't a covered area) a seriously cold spell last Winter where it didn't get above freezing for pretty much 6 weeks, and a decent spell at -9 then IF someone can still produce well then they're worth there money. Which for me was well worth it, i worked on what i produced, i filled a silo trailer for £25 a load for softwood and £35 for hard wood, this was using a Palax PTO driven machine.

Busy weeks i made between £550 and £600, but these were long days, 11-13 hours.:thumbup1: