Firewood Employee

Dave Martin

I agree with TerryTibbs, try someone out for a week, paying them by the load, possibly with a pay increase when they reach a certain output. If they get stuck in they will realise they can earn more. But choose carefully, in my experience mates are not the best choice, and there are a lot of people who think they can use chainsaws etc. All our kit can be dangerous if not used sensibly, so a good dose of common is a given.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave I did not realise you had reach the turn over to justify someone full time on the cards. I have about 6 self employed people who come from all walks of life. Common sense and safety come first output second. With six contacts you can normally get 2-3 people per day when busy. I find if people do days of processing they loose interest and get fatigued.

My old man used to scream and shout at me and give the other lads the easy jobs I hated it but I know why now they push you to be the best you can. It's hard to find good lads your lucky mate most good lads work for them self

Your right mate these two lads do work for them selfs doing ground work patios etc but always seem to get short of work in the winter months, which is a bonus as they can give me a few days a week when i'm busy on the logs and they are not sitting at home doing nowt win-win situation.

I would rather you did go on than just make statements, personally i am trying to get info not be a smart arse.

I am sure you are legally allowed to pay an occasional casual worker from petty cash but what the description of occasional casual with regards to the tax office is i cant remember. As in how many times you are allowed to do this. Looks like ill have to get the old employment law books out.

Plus you can just pay someone cash in hand if they are self employed, as you are not responsible for there PAYEE etc. Think you just need them to sign a basic contract for your records.

I was also just asking for clarification of the 5 employee rule for H&S, i am sure i was told that H&S only start showing an interst if you have 5 or more employees? If i am wrong fair enough rather than just flame someone why not tell them why they are wrong?

You need to satisfy yourself they are paying their tax because the the tax office will get it off you, if they dont. Everyone is responsible for h&S if you have less than 5 employees you dont need so much documentation but u still need to have taken steps to ensure safe practice. If you write it down and give training it proves it.

According to my accountant occasional workers can be paid cash with out a paper trail for tax once maybe twice a year, any more and it needs sorting officially either as a direct employee or you need to get an invoice/ receipt from them showing they are registered self employed, you also need to be satisfied they are paying the tax.

Your definition of cash in hand obviously differs from mine, I pay my subbies in cash where I can but get an invoice/receipt. This is not cash in hand work by the definition I understand (I.e. Evading tax by not recording the fact cash has been paid for work done).

H&S needs formally recording when a company employs more than 5 people, a talk through in the van on the way to a job is not sufficient to comply with risk assessments etc for a 5+ man company. Also you need employee liability insurance to employ anyone even on a casual basis.

If Joe bloggs from down the pub is working for you cash in hand whilst still claiming the dole cuts himself with the modified processor which government department will get the first go at bankrupting you?

I wasn't flaming you or anyone, it just seemed the post was so nieve it couldn't be real!!!

Kev

I would rather you did go on than just make statements, personally i am trying to get info not be a smart arse.

I am sure you are legally allowed to pay an occasional casual worker from petty cash but what the description of occasional casual with regards to the tax office is i cant remember. As in how many times you are allowed to do this. Looks like ill have to get the old employment law books out.

Plus you can just pay someone cash in hand if they are self employed, as you are not responsible for there PAYEE etc. Think you just need them to sign a basic contract for your records.

I was also just asking for clarification of the 5 employee rule for H&S, i am sure i was told that H&S only start showing an interst if you have 5 or more employees? If i am wrong fair enough rather than just flame someone why not tell them why they are wrong?

I would be looking for a guy Around 50, wise, careful and honest who is looking to keep busy and supplement his pension.

he does the splitting and driving and maintenance of kit, and will not chop his hand off while texting his mates.

I would also have a couple of young lads with a 3 hour attention span and are only motivated by job and finishes and a bag of beers that I would bring in after hours and satarday mornings.

they do the grunt, stack logs, fill bags and heavy stuff you do not want your good guy being off for doing a menial task.

As far as money goes, what rill the business allow, simples:)