local wildlife (fur,feathers and beasties)

Adam Bourne

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

More often heard than seen round here, but yes, I was surprised when I found out what the noise was.

Mick, do you have these guys ?  They are seriously noisy as well.  Unfortunately they are very good at catching damsel/dragonflies.

IMG_6472.JPG

IMG_6471.JPG

• Like 2

Evening.  For me today was a bit special : it wasn't the second tree frog (defn. Arborea this time), it wasn't the cat (elephant) faced spider, it wasn't even the better picture of the ground beetle, but instead picture 4 - anyone want to guess ?

20200508_152016.jpg

20200508_160348.jpg

20200507_173624.jpg

IMG_7153.JPG

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, nepia said:

Camberwell Beauty?

Brilliant - spot on - how did you get that so easily ?  Have you ever actually seen one ?

For my part this was only the 2nd time in my entire life that I've had the privilege - stunningly beautiful.  Here's a few more pics - including it sat on (taking salts off) my eldest's hand.

IMG_7107.JPG

IMG_7136.JPG

IMG_7146.JPG

• Like 7

Wow.  Those are some pics and what a privilege having the insect settle like that.

I fleetingly saw a passer by here in the garden in Caterham in August '06:  I could barely believe my eyes but there is nothing else the specimen could have been; that cream border to the wing is unique.  I reported it to the regional recorder and mine was one of three recorded sightings in Surrey and 30 in England so far that year. They are a British butterfly courtesy of their regular excursions across the Channel - a bit like the Clouded Yellows we get; they're mostly yours too!

10 hours ago, ABtrees said:

Brilliant - spot on - how did you get that so easily ?  Have you ever actually seen one ?

For my part this was only the 2nd time in my entire life that I've had the privilege - stunningly beautiful.  Here's a few more pics - including it sat on (taking salts off) my eldest's hand.

IMG_7107.JPG

IMG_7136.JPG

IMG_7146.JPG

What a find,also known as the Mourning Cloak

11 hours ago, nepia said:

Wow.  Those are some pics and what a privilege having the insect settle like that.

I fleetingly saw a passer by here in the garden in Caterham in August '06:  I could barely believe my eyes but there is nothing else the specimen could have been; that cream border to the wing is unique.  I reported it to the regional recorder and mine was one of three recorded sightings in Surrey and 30 in England so far that year. They are a British butterfly courtesy of their regular excursions across the Channel - a bit like the Clouded Yellows we get; they're mostly yours too!

Good that you got the Clouded Yellows I sent over - I'll point some others northwards !   

Glad you're enjoying the pics.  (I'll keep posting till someone tells me to stop (Steve?) - I do feel a bit like I have hijacked this thread though - sorry). 

I am into my wildlife (in case you haven't guessed) and a passion for butterflies - we are very, very fortunate in our 'little corner' of France to be inundated with so many and so many different species.  I had a little competition last year to see how many species I could photograph in 2 hours - I got to 26. 

Then occasionally you get one like this - only 2 other butterflies had this effect on me : The Large Copper and the Lesser Purple Emperor.  

• Like 1