Economoics of Importing Wood from Eastern Block countries

cessna

I would think your logs will be fine since 75% of the logs sold in the uk this winter will be goping at over 36% moisture. Having been cut from green timber last week. Even on this forum alot of people are rushing round trying to buy cord cant believe after all the bs in recent years they are hacking it up to sell this winter.

Thats what I thought, thats the best way to drive customers away, crazy. Once end users have used a better quality product price becomes a secondary issue.

A

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think your logs will be fine since 75% of the logs sold in the uk this winter will be goping at over 36% moisture. Having been cut from green timber last week. Even on this forum alot of people are rushing round trying to buy cord cant believe after all the bs in recent years they are hacking it up to sell this winter.

You're not wrong there Steve,a 'firewood merchant' local to me is putting corsican onto his processor and delivering it out,that i know for a fact was still growing 3 weeks ago.

I try to get all of ours to below 20% but to do so we have to sit on around 500 + ton of stock to get the rotation ! we keep between 3/500 ton out of the way and about 200 ton in the yard.Most of our logs are delivered straight from the round what you see stacked in the yard is to keep us going when there is heavy snow or a breakdown

399892_10150542284428703_161461838_n.jpg

406492_10150548926053703_336697751_n.jpg

402140_10150548927808703_54654163_n.jpg

In large areas of the Uk you've got to take into account that due to the climate, low moisture content wood will absorb moisture from the air. 12% MC firewood stored outside (even under cover) will soon get up to 20% MC, or above, in Autumn and Winter conditions.

absolutely our bags at this time of year go out at 12 to 14% but by december/january same stock is hitting 22 24% east coast scotland.