Economoics of Importing Wood from Eastern Block countries

cessna

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Delta Limited

Not an awful lot on your web site about firewood, but quite a bit about other areas of expertise you have. New company yet to file its first years accounts although these are not yet overdue.

For most people bringing it in they use 2 cube pallets, then tip the logs out to form a bulk tipped load.

It is reassuring to know that you are actively taking steps to ensure that the timber is disease free, what is the moisture content inside a log on the freshly exposed face of a newly split log?. This is critical if a user is to obtain optimum results from a stove. Last year I came across an instance of a crate bought on line by a customer, outside MC about 25% but inside about 35%. So if that has seen the inside of a kiln then it was not for very long. Currently my own air dried is going out at about 7%-10%.

Has anyone here bought timber from this company?, if so how is it?.

I ask as I may need 2 + containers this winter the way things are going at present.

A

i've got a question. how sustainable is the wood from these area, and do you care? Ditto what Andy said.

Hi Arbmark,

The simple answer is yes, of course I care. I have been involved in post conflict reconstruction in Bosnia since 2001, working in different areas to combat the exploitation of humans and natural resources. Specifically, I directed intelligence operations against illegal logging in 2001. In addition to that, our company was the first to initiate the implementation of the Kyoto protocols in the private sector in Bosnia. There are more international organisations here monitoring the entire supply chain than probably anywhere else in Europe.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Yours,

Duncan.

Green Delta Limited

Not an awful lot on your web site about firewood, but quite a bit about other areas of expertise you have. New company yet to file its first years accounts although these are not yet overdue.

For most people bringing it in they use 2 cube pallets, then tip the logs out to form a bulk tipped load.

It is reassuring to know that you are actively taking steps to ensure that the timber is disease free, what is the moisture content inside a log on the freshly exposed face of a newly split log?. This is critical if a user is to obtain optimum results from a stove. Last year I came across an instance of a crate bought on line by a customer, outside MC about 25% but inside about 35%. So if that has seen the inside of a kiln then it was not for very long. Currently my own air dried is going out at about 7%-10%.

Has anyone here bought timber from this company?, if so how is it?.

I ask as I may need 2 + containers this winter the way things are going at present.

A

Hi Alycidon,

I started off as a small consultancy in addition to my full time job. I saw an opportunity in the biomass market a while ago and was working slowly towards realising it but was overtaken by the market and am now working my butt off to catch up, in addition to my full time job. You can take a look at my linked in profile to see what that is - Duncan Spinner.

As for your question whether anyone has bought wood from us, yes they have and I will get permission from them first thing on Monday morning to let you know privately who they are. It would be great if you were onside given the number of people who are, understandably, concerned about buying from a new company with a website that mentions nothing about wood!:001_rolleyes:

Will drop you a line Monday morning with references and have a great Sunday.

Yours,

Duncan

Hi Arbmark,

The simple answer is yes, of course I care. I have been involved in post conflict reconstruction in Bosnia since 2001, working in different areas to combat the exploitation of humans and natural resources. Specifically, I directed intelligence operations against illegal logging in 2001. In addition to that, our company was the first to initiate the implementation of the Kyoto protocols in the private sector in Bosnia. There are more international organisations here monitoring the entire supply chain than probably anywhere else in Europe.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Yours,

Duncan.

That's very impressive Duncan, and i hope that things really improve. I do worry about all this imported timber, mainly from an ecological perspective. Apologies for my slightly acerbic question and thanks for the reply. Good man!

Cheers

Mark

That's very impressive Duncan, and i hope that things really improve. I do worry about all this imported timber, mainly from an ecological perspective. Apologies for my slightly acerbic question and thanks for the reply. Good man!

Cheers

Mark

No need for any apology - I'm delighted to get questions like this. I'm very aware of the emerging security challenges caused by climate change both in terms of carbon exchange, fuel and food security and which will have to be dealt with by our children. You don't have to look far back in history to see the impact of rapid onset climate change on human security. So, not only do I appreciate your concern and directness, but I worry alongside you.

All the best,

Duncan

Hi Alycidon,

sorry to get back to you late, but it' been a hell of a day. If you want a reference regarding any aspect of reliability / delivery and quality, please speak to Niall Whyte at The Real Firewood Company in Duns, who was our first customer ever. I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully supplying you with some top notch wood.

yours aye,

Duncan

Hi Alycidon,

sorry to get back to you late, but it' been a hell of a day. If you want a reference regarding any aspect of reliability / delivery and quality, please speak to Niall Whyte at The Real Firewood Company in Duns, who was our first customer ever. I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully supplying you with some top notch wood.

yours aye,

Duncan

Will have a chat with him when I get a minute, working 70 hour weeks at present.

PM me with your e mail addy please, I will then respond and you can e mail me some costings providing the MC stacks up. If its not dry after this summer then it never will be, last winter what was your average moisture content?.

Thanks

A