Economoics of Importing Wood from Eastern Block countries

cessna

With the price of cord wood rising at an alarming rate ,has anyone imported firewood ready cut /split from any Eastern European Countries and has it proved economically viable,a company called Biofuelz has a website which shows their logs crated up Wood pellets, briquettes, firewood from Lithuania - Biofuelz.com. I realise their is one hell of lot of research, that has to be done on this, especially if one does not want to be ripped of big time,but one has to look out of the box,even if nothing comes of it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several companies already importing from these sources, Timports for example. I have done some research here, kiln dried in IMHO the way to go, get a premium price for it. You will need that premium as transport costs are about Eur 2000 a trip. Best I have found comes out at about £90 a cu meter delivered for Ash from memory, might be a shade less. I have asked Timports for a price but have received no reply. Most of the Lithuania companies are selling Birch, Beech does not grow in that area but Ash does.

But dealing with a foreign company with no real warranty on getting the delivery or the content when it arrives is a genuine risk. Best I can advise is to do some homework on any prospective supplier.

A

Absolutely, encourage growth and sustainability in our own forest resources. Timber is one of our very very few renewable resources, and with applications as wide as it has, beats the hell out of synthetics. The old addage of 'if you dont use it you lose it' comes to mind

• 2 years later...

As a retired soldier who got stuck in the Balkans a few years ago :001_huh:, I've just started exporting logs (primarily beech) into the UK. Funnily enough, I agree with the comments that supporting the British economy is the best way to go. However, if you are looking at importing, then I have to reiterate what Alycidon said. You already know that there's a lot of research to be done but try to get references from their customers. Speak to someone who has used the company before. Anyone legit will understand your caution, and will be happy to help. My first two containers were delivered last week and the customers have reordered - If they hadn't looked outside the box, this would never have got off the ground!

Why import? Prices in this country are reasonable in comparison, you build a relationship with your suppliers, you help with employment of British workers, and generally help with our economy. Just a thought.:001_smile:

The best price on firm delivery I've had for loads of mixed wood (25% Larch - mmmmmm) was £81/T.

All I hear these days is the biofuels people are paying £1,800 a load with their £300 a load government channelled subsidy so why should I sell to you for less.

I haven't purchased any cord this year as at that price it is cheaper to import kiln dried from Europe. My policy is if your local supplier screws you then screw them.

Just as a matter of interest,how much per cube are your logs?

Depends on the volume you require, the type of packaging and the delivery destination. We have options for bags, pallets and crates. For the pallets, the build quality is dependent on whether you want to resell them or break them up for kindling. There are discounts for volume, but we would send a test container first for you to assess the logs - all logs are split beech. If you give me your details, I can put together a quote for you. Also happy to give references from uk buyers. You can't be too careful...:biggrin:

I sound I bit like a one trick pony, but what controls do you have to prevent pathogens entering the UK via timber with bark on? As ex services you will no doubt have a risk register around biosecurity among other things.

I'm not aware of pathogens in the Balkans having an impact on European beech, but then the Balkans also have oriental beech too and hybrids. Are you aware of any potential problems?

It is a question that I would ask if I were to consider buying in.

Regards

Ben

I sound I bit like a one trick pony, but what controls do you have to prevent pathogens entering the UK via timber with bark on? As ex services you will no doubt have a risk register around biosecurity among other things.

I'm not aware of pathogens in the Balkans having an impact on European beech, but then the Balkans also have oriental beech too and hybrids. Are you aware of any potential problems?

It is a question that I would ask if I were to consider buying in.

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben,

You are absolutely correct to ask about bio security. Although I've only just begun importing this wood, the idea began 3 years ago and it has taken me this long to get all the checks and balances in place. My company has been in extensive consultation with the Forestry Commission to ensure that the profile of the wood and the areas where we source it from does not pose a risk to the UK. All wood is FSC and SGS certified and in addition, our packaging meets ISPM 15 standards. None of our wood leaves the depot unless it complies with UK and EC plant health directives. My reputation is more important to me than profit and this is why it has taken me 3 years to ensure that the groundwork is in place before I made any move to import. Either my partner or myself have additionally inspected every facility before we engage them. I'm delighted you asked this question - it means my 3 years of prep were not in vain! In army speak "prior planning and preparation prevents p**s poor performance" :biggrin:

All the best,

Duncan