mould on rope, advice please.

Dave D

i've just got my climbing kit back and given it a quick inspection after 6 1/2 months of it sitting unused. as i expected there is a little bit of fluffy mould growing on my rope (expected there to be more to be honest). my question is:

would the mould affect the integrity of the rope?

and also will the rope be affected by staying wrapped as in the picture for this long?

pictures of mould and wrap:

P1010459.jpg.49e46e9cbc686eebf4c1bc6b7fe7ee56.jpg

P1010462.jpg.670bd42c01cfd4d916218a3dcc3d1ece.jpg

thanks for any advice.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the mould usually appears because its been damp, as mark says just give it a quick wash, even in the bath with some soap flakes, and it will come out looking and smelling newer.

Ive seen some very mouldy ropes and they never seemed to be affected, just coming out of the fibres

would the mould affect the integrity of the rope?

and also will the rope be affected by staying wrapped as in the picture for this long?

No and no.

The mould isn’t digesting the rope it's digesting whatever "tree slime" (technical term that) and general detritus is on the rope.

Any "memory" from leaving a rope coiled will disappear as soon as it's been through a friction hitch.

Give it a rinse through and maybe invest in a rope bag.

cheers for that guys, wasnt sure so thought it best to ask. my kits been in a lock up all over winter so i expected the damp to of covered it in mould, luckily it was all in a decent kit bag. my lid however looks like its now fleece lined its got so much growing on it!

will probably chuck the ropes in the bath as the wife will kill me if i break the machine! a little non bio is good right? first time i've washed my kit, might polish my lockjack while i'm at it!! haha

Edited by Dave D

I have always just chucked my ropes in the washing machine as they are, at 30 degrees with about 1/4 the normal amount of powder if they are sappy...including 50m of 16mm liros, no probs to the machine......have some of you lot had busted machines from this?