Self employed rates?

sihart100

Are you saying you leave a heap of drop sticks to clear, and does your groundy not have saw ticket, chipper ticket, rig for you, fuel/sharpen saws, organise site, deal with customer, public and generally be at your beck and call while you were in the tree?

I would put money on the fact you couldnt do all your work without him:sneaky2:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is that the groundsman should also be a climber. Climbing work should be shared so that fatigue is reduced, and that if the worst happened, the groundsman could competently rescue the climber. Therefore the groundsman and the climber charge the same rates.

Anyone else share this opinion?

Cheers

A climber can only go as fast as his groundsmen. Pay a good groundsmen good money and hel be worth every penny. When you have a good climber who drops brash in a decent manner and fast groundies who get rid of it fast everything runs smooth and everyones happy. Also a lot of the time the grounds are working harder because good climbers are fit, climb clever and enjoy it:001_smile:

Our team works that way Liam with two climbers and a groundy but were lucky. Ideal world situations would be all climbers to share the roles but some lads just don't like climbing but are awesome groundsmen:thumbup:

i agree 18stoner some days i would be lost but this is my dad where talking about, if he thought he was being hard done by he would tell me, he has more certs than i could possibly think of, but he wouldn't want me paying extra to him for he does. he loves the industry and one of the finest old school climbers you could come across, he gets a bonus now and then and he's happy,but like i've already said a competent groundsman working direct is well worth 80-90 a day. its like when i was at my last firm on 100 a day 2 men truck/chipper tools, how cold the boss justify putting 550-600 a day on a job, thats all i'm doing is it not.

i agree 18stoner some days i would be lost but this is my dad where talking about, if he thought he was being hard done by he would tell me, he has more certs than i could possibly think of, but he wouldn't want me paying extra to him for he does. he loves the industry and one of the finest old school climbers you could come across, he gets a bonus now and then and he's happy,but like i've already said a competent groundsman working direct is well worth 80-90 a day. its like when i was at my last firm on 100 a day 2 men truck/chipper tools, how cold the boss justify putting 550-600 a day on a job, thats all i'm doing is it not.

some thing called making a profit :biggrin:

I am freelance as well and charge 100 to 120 per day including saws and equipment. To be honest for my 20 years experience i am shooting myself in the foot but at least the phone calls are coming in. All in all our profession IS underpaid for the risks we take and the health and safety **** we have to go through, we should be getting 200 to 300 a day at least!

Depends what you can produce in a day.

Good guys are worth every penny, but, as Lorry says, you need good groundies to back them up.

£50 quid a day for a chipper feeder?

Anyone who's only worth £50 a day isn't going anywhere near my chipper.

I'd rather pay more and get more.

The fact that the people shoving brushwood through a chipper are meant to have a ticket seems to be one of the most overlooked facts in arb.

'Look at me, I've got CS41, all my gear is LOLER'd' - but you're happy to get your groundies from the back of the Jobcentre. Seen it tooooooo many times.

Good climber+good groundies=good job

Im more then happy to pay £120+ for a climber with own saw and kit

and around £60-£70 for a groundsmen with saw and a few tickets Like its been said every one in this job in underpaid thank god we love doing it.I could make more being a handy man but would not enjoy it as much as i love tree work.