What do YOU, anchor into? ;)

Harrison2604

I anchor into the highest point of the tree, that I feel will enable me to reach every part of the tree without my anchor point coming to join me (if that makes sense).

Only comment so far that seems too!! Every tree is different from species to dynamics , One of the worse anchor point failures I've had was 15 foot below were I was anchored on too when a 15" included union broke out

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only comment so far that seems too!! Every tree is different from species to dynamics , One of the worse anchor point failures I've had was 15 foot below were I was anchored on too when a 15" included union broke out

Exactly, every tree is different, not just species.

Too many variables to suggest a size, but loading laterally eg branchwalking you can snap some biggish stuff, but putting weight straight down the stem you'd struggle to snap a walking stick.

I personally prefer a chunkier anchor point so I can swing around dramatically and impress any small children who may be watching.

Too many variables to suggest a size, but loading laterally eg branchwalking you can snap some biggish stuff, but putting weight straight down the stem you'd struggle to snap a walking stick.

I personally prefer a chunkier anchor point so I can swing around dramatically and impress any small children who may be watching.

Haha.

One thing that surprised me not so long ago was when I was dismantling a horse chessie with bleeding canker.... walking out on a BIG chunky limb with lots of growth to section it out and the whole thing dropped from under my feet! Never seen anything like it. Gave me a bit of a fright as I swang back in about 10ft and that's something I really wasn't expecting haha.

Chessies are really going down hill, it's such a shame.:thumbdown:

depends how you climb. If you are going to weight it heavily, be conservative. If you are going to be gentle and distribute your weight twixt what your standing/climbing on you can go quite small. Use your common sense

This is probs what i would say too. but then what if u are climbing carefully/ even weight on tree and anchor point but a branch fails underneath you? then you could have heaps of load on the anchor Point no?

i think the best thing is, a Proper VTA first know your tree speices and strenghts. And check your achor all the way up from the ground for defects. if you cant get the anchor point you want with being a little dodgey then you can also go higher/smaller but back it up. there are ways to do this, i am sure the link is on Here. use prussik and rope cambium savers.

if you think it is that unsafe, then ask your self THE question! is it really worth it? just go and bit lower or take the branch back abit further, then you live/climb another day to ask yourself the same question.

Don't forget to factor in what you'll be doing in that anchor piont. Are you hanging straight down on it or limb walking right out and pulling it over? I had an anchor piont rip out and fell 15feet onto a drive. The top was strong enough to hold me but when I step cut a large branch off to through it out, the weight of the branch and me pulled the top right out. Lucky I wasn't cutting and holding with the saw!