Lazy mans joinery....

TrollSpiel

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you hidden the screw heads ? if so how, i guess i would sink them and then put a dowel in, and sand off flat.

Only asking as i would love to build something like that from some of the oak i am looking to plank up shortly.

Looks a lovely piece of work however you did it.

Rob.

Edited by ashman
Manners

Have you hidden the screw heads ? if so how, i guess i would sink them and then put a dowel in, and sand off flat.

Only asking as i would love to build something like that from some of the oak i am looking to plank up shortly.

Looks a lovely piece of work however you did it.

Rob.

Rob, screws are all just hidden, countersunk. I didn't bother to put cedar dowels in. I don't usually like to use screws, prefer biscuit joints, rebates & glue.. but I only gave myself a day to get this done from ruff sawn, so no time for all that messing about with biscuiting.

Are you drying the oak before you use it?

Rob, screws are all just hidden, countersunk. I didn't bother to put cedar dowels in. I don't usually like to use screws, prefer biscuit joints, rebates & glue.. but I only gave myself a day to get this done from ruff sawn, so no time for all that messing about with biscuiting.

Are you drying the oak before you use it?

Hi.

I am even more amazed how good it looks now i know how quick you finished it !!

what sort of strength does the biscuit and glue give ? it is a way i would prefer to do a piece like that given the choice, purely as i would look at the screw heads every time and kick myself for not having them hidden.

Yes my plan was to dry the oak first, i have 3 lovely butts waiting to be milled, and several more still standing, and although these 3 were standing deadwood, they have a high moisture content still, i believe they will warp all shapes for indoor use unless i dry them first.

I am really taken with what you have done, i was thinking along the lines of an oak office desk, but having seen that, i think an oak desk with storage for my files etc above. very similiar to yours, (sorry for pinching the idea).

Another line i was looking into was more a "rough and ready" type of furniture for my garden, bench or chairs and a table. obviously this would be after i have made the mrs a dining table !!!! should never have let her see this section of the site.

Regards, Rob.