Spike Kickout!

Mani

I like to keep my spikes razor sharp, that way they sink in securely with just your body weight on them. also makes them easier to pull out than stomped in blunt gaffs.

:dito:

I used to use the old linesmans cheapo spikes and i never sharpened them, then i slipped like that taking out a double headed elm and fell about 10 foot. I landed on my elbow on a the stub of the first head, it was so sore I bought some bashlin alloys the next day, I sharpen them regularly and ' touch wood' have'nt slipped since.

If you feel you need to stab them in Mani i think they are either blunt or you are bringing your knees too close to the stem. This is something I have seen both the students that I have working for me do in the past, as your knees come closer to the stem the angle of the spikes to the stem becomes more oblique meaning they bite less.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never happened to me.

Tip -

Its also less likely to happen with long spikes.

20 years and counting:closedeyes:

I have never had a flat tyre,which makes me an excellent driver.Much better than anyone who has ever had a flat tyre,which was of course their fault as they were driving.:001_smile:

the only time you should slip on spikes is topping out trees at 45% angles and the catapult effect after the tops gone sends you flying.....

saying that im gona get some american style gaffs ive had my euro styles kick out a few times on large gnarly flakey bark but cant complain about them on any thing else with soft smooth bark ...