Most annoying thing on TV

Lancstree

i have noticed that ,but why :biggrin:

The advertisements are transmitted at a stronger frequency therefore making them seem louder even though your TV volume is the same

I think its so we take notice, but i just channel hop, can't stand adverts and radio adverts are even worse.....

we buy any car DOT COM:thumbdown::sneaky2:

That doesnt work out in theory, certainly not with digital television. stronger signal (to a point) only improves received quality, changes in signal amplitude would only directly affect analogue reception in that way. Volume information is transmitted within the digital data, not to mention several channels can now be found occupying the same carrier frequency.

even in analogue systems, the received signal would be boosted/attenuated, filtered and or compressed to normalise the sound

essentially, they've done it on purpose cos the folks selling you things have paid them to

of course audio compression may be the cause, that's not compression like MP3, im talking 'proper' audio compression, where all the lows are brought up to 0 and the peaks are brought down to 0 which has the effect of flattening the dynamic variance and making the whole sound 'fuller' and 'higher average amplitude'. 'louder' isnt really the right word.

take a classic rock album by say black sabbath, run it through a spectral graph, very little will get even near the 0dB point even though it is a 'loud' sound being recorded, whereas take a modern pop record, even a vaguely sedate one, do the same and it'll be sitting on the edge of clipping for most of its runtime. A 'hot' signal.

in the same way compare a cinema movie. MASSIVE dynamic range, with a tv advert, very little indeed

Edited by ecolojim

Now that Halifax advert isa isa baby does my head in . And the way she moves her head . Stresses me out thinking about it , right I,m off to the punch bag :lol:

Those Halifax ads are just pure cheese when she starts singing and does the head thing..me and the missus look at each other and just CRINGE.

All adverts are annoying!.... especially when out of an hour program 15-20 mins are adverts:thumbdown:

Guest Infinitree

To be honest I think almost every TV ad annoys me!

It would be easier to say which ones don't make you wanna put your head through the tv... like that 'Every home needs a harvey ad'-With the dog :biggrin:

Now that Halifax advert isa isa baby does my head in . And the way she moves her head . Stresses me out thinking about it , right I,m off to the punch bag :lol:

Another vote from me for that! I'm usually a very calm, laidback kinda person, but thare's something about that ad' that really gets hackles up. Grrr

That doesnt work out in theory, certainly not with digital television. stronger signal (to a point) only improves received quality, changes in signal amplitude would only directly affect analogue reception in that way. Volume information is transmitted within the digital data, not to mention several channels can now be found occupying the same carrier frequency.

even in analogue systems, the received signal would be boosted/attenuated, filtered and or compressed to normalise the sound

essentially, they've done it on purpose cos the folks selling you things have paid them to

of course audio compression may be the cause, that's not compression like MP3, im talking 'proper' audio compression, where all the lows are brought up to 0 and the peaks are brought down to 0 which has the effect of flattening the dynamic variance and making the whole sound 'fuller' and 'higher average amplitude'. 'louder' isnt really the right word.

take a classic rock album by say black sabbath, run it through a spectral graph, very little will get even near the 0dB point even though it is a 'loud' sound being recorded, whereas take a modern pop record, even a vaguely sedate one, do the same and it'll be sitting on the edge of clipping for most of its runtime. A 'hot' signal.

in the same way compare a cinema movie. MASSIVE dynamic range, with a tv advert, very little indeed

Well that was a better explanation than mine:blushing:

nice one jim:thumbup: