How do you start a career in tree surgery?

Fflint

Quite seriously - Don't do it!

There is little career with total committment. With the committment you can afford, you could be physically and financially sorry in 10 yrs time.

And then what are you going to do?

Have you got qualifications to fall back on?

Are you going to keep on climbing everyday into your 50's?

Or will you get pushed aside by the next young gun who will run round faster for less money until he burns up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

who will run round faster for less money until he burns up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

who will run round faster for less money until he burns up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

If they don't become another injury/death statistic first.

Or maybe you'll break the cycle and set up in business, forced to undercut the competition and work faster and harder, employing climbers who will run round faster for less money until they burn up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

If they don't become another injury/death statistic first.

Or maybe they'll break the cycle and set up in business, forced to undercut the competition and work faster and harder, employing climbers who will run round faster for less money until they burn up, to get replaced by the next young gun.....

Its coined the cycle of diminishing returns by Jez Lawton, and is typical of this industry.

There is no 'Career' in this game I'm afraid.

Good luck.

If thats YOUR life your doing it wrong!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to steer clear of this industry but since its in the family i was always going to be a tree surgeon which now im thankfull for i really enjoy this job and running my own biz it is very hard and stressfull when the work aint coming in but when it does i love it.

Point is you will work ur arse off for shite money for quiet a while but its not all bad or there would not be so many tree surgeons.

Again because surgeons are 10 a penny its hard for any good one to command more than £100 a day round this way the norm is £60-80 a day which is terrible.

In the time I've been in this job, I've seen many become disillusioned with it. The companies flog them to the point the job has lost its interest. This is why they burn out, the very soul is burnt away. The eternal quest to make more and more money overrides the welfare of the crews. A few stronger characters remain, and hang around to impart the skills and knowledge that have been learned over the years. There is always a future in this vocation, for those who choose it, a future educating, guiding and nurturing the next generation. As has been posted before, the NPTCs only give a basic grounding, the passed down experience can be priceless. I have had various jobs in my life, none of which have given me the satisfaction that this one does, even on wet days!! What would I do instead? I have no idea.

Fflint, don`t let any of that put you off. My experience of tree surgery bears no resemblance to some of whats been said. Everybody works hard. Its no big deal.

`Young guns competing on the lowest price` is not the only way to run a business. How you do in your arb career depends entirely on you - not an `industry` made up of thousands of people you will never meet if you live to be a hundred.

Fflint, don`t let any of that put you off. My experience of tree surgery bears no resemblance to some of whats been said. Everybody works hard. Its no big deal.

`Young guns competing on the lowest price` is not the only way to run a business. How you do in your arb career depends entirely on you - not an `industry` made up of thousands of people you will never meet if you live to be a hundred.

:congrats::congrats:

Lets just say I know how to get a point across. :001_cool:

I am very pleased to hear of those who have said they committed to this industry, and had the good sense to do it properly by studying formally for academic qualifications and/or seeking a 3-5 year apprenticeship.

Thats what this industry needs. Its a long road and the 'telligent tortoise beats the hare by a long, long way.

Usually the hare cuts a leg on the way, meaning they rarely make the finish.

gee, I'd love to be in the financial position to simply drop everything and do a college course, unfortunately thats not the case. just to reassure you laz, I do think that if somethings worth doing, its worth doing properly. I have no intention of becoming a cowboy through lack of experience or qualifications, the moment I am in a position to further my knowledge I will be doing that by any means possible. However to gain that valuable experience which could be of great benefit to me on future courses, should I not start in the industry now?

Or should I just keep slogging away in a job I hate where I cant save any money because the wage is too low and so I'll never be able to save the cash for the course I need?

yeah.....thats a much better idea.

Anyway thanks for the help and support guys, its been interesting and very helpful, next week I'm doing a week of work exp with a guy in nottingham, then its chainsaw qualifications followed by hopefully a job in sheffield, get some experience then as many qualifications as I can squeeze into my tiny mind! after that I'll be taking over the world.......

cheers all!

• 1 month later...