Do you suffer from Hayfever?

Matthew Arnold

Do you suffer from Hayfever  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from Hayfever

• Yes
    • No
    • Occasionally

Blimey, was terrible as a kid. Teens and 20's was pretty shocking, seemed to wheeze all day long. But that turned out to be an allergy to something at home so I had ventolin to inhale which helped. As time went by things got better until I only needed the inhaler for the second throw of nettle pollen. Now, I'm okay.

Fags seemed to help but I wouldn't advise smoking as a remedy.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The secret to treating hay fever is to start taking the medication about a month or so before you expect it to start and then keep taking it throughout the season whether you have symptoms or not. It is useless to take it once you are sneezing. I use Beconase nasal spray EVERY evening and that works for me.

I put up with it for years, spent hundreds on over the counter remedies, useless. Went to see the doc about it and he gave me some prescription drugs and it's 10 times better, I only take a course of tablets through June and a nasal spray once a day, wish I had done it years before.

I never got it as a lad, but now seem to be alergic to one type of pollen, I presume it is a tree species as I get symptoms for a couple of weeks in April and that's about it, so not too bad, although those couple of weeks make me really appreciate that I don't get it all summer.

i get similar symptoms whenever there are foxgloves around (often the first thing to disappear under the strimmer:laugh1:) I use a herbal tablet which is non-drowsy called Pollena by nelsons, i think it is available in most health shops like holland and barrett.

I believe it is possible to get some sort of test from the doctor which will tell you what sort of pollen you are actually allergic to. Then it is possible to medicate / act accordingly. I had a holiday job strimming motorway embankments when I was a student. Got the full works: streaming eyes, snot and non stop painful sneezing. Turned out it was the exhaust fumes on the motorway that did it and I was fine cutting grass elsewhere.

I used to get it really bad as a kid, sneezing, itchy eyes the lot. The only thing that worked was Beconase nasal spray. Then in my late twenties it just seemed to stop, the only time I get it now is when strimming long grass in June. The only snag is, that as the hayfever subsided I started to get asthma instead :confused1: the main trigger for that seems to be fungus spores.