Do you suffer from Hayfever?

Matthew Arnold

Do you suffer from Hayfever  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from Hayfever

• Yes
    • No
    • Occasionally

I never used to suffer as a kid but started in my early teens, quite badly. At about 15 I had a jab, which involved a needle about 4" long into my bum and was very uncomfortable, but worked for about 2 years.

Since then I used to use Piriton about four times a day throughout spring and summer which worked quite well and didn't seem to cause drowsiness, but from about age 38 (I am an old git) really started to knock me out, quite dangerously so. I then started using Beconase which works very well.

I tend to react to various things throughout the year, so now usually have one shot of Beconase every day, upping the dose to 2 shots (sometimes 3) per day during peak season. Grass pollen and Yew trees set me off without fail!

The thing I find a little disturbing is that when I was a kid (1960's - gulp!) it was quite rare to find people with hay fever, I can only remember about three at my school of about 200 kids. Now it seems to be quite rare to find somone who doesn't have allergies of some kind. This doesn't bode well for the future in my opinion.

Anyway, as a hayfever sufferer, my sympathies go out to all fellow sufferers!

My dad used to bug me quite alot when I was a teenager, because (as many people on here will I am sure agree) it is miserable to suffer badly from hayfever, and he always used to tell me that I was making a fuss and it was nothing, just a runny nose. I never really managed to make him see that it was like having a severe cold for about 7 months of the year, very tiring, irritating, and generally debilitating. During peak season I woudl be amost completely unable to sleep at night, and the cumulative effects of sleep deprivation were really quite horrible. At least the treatments now are getting better.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never used to suffer as a kid but started in my early teens, quite badly. At about 15 I had a jab, which involved a needle about 4" long into my bum and was very uncomfortable, but worked for about 2 years.

Since then I used to use Piriton about four times a day throughout spring and summer which worked quite well and didn't seem to cause drowsiness, but from about age 38 (I am an old git) really started to knock me out, quite dangerously so. I then started using Beconase which works very well.

I tend to react to various things throughout the year, so now usually have one shot of Beconase every day, upping the dose to 2 shots (sometimes 3) per day during peak season. Grass pollen and Yew trees set me off without fail!

The thing I find a little disturbing is that when I was a kid (1960's - gulp!) it was quite rare to find people with hay fever, I can only remember about three at my school of about 200 kids. Now it seems to be quite rare to find somone who doesn't have allergies of some kind. This doesn't bode well for the future in my opinion.

Anyway, as a hayfever sufferer, my sympathies go out to all fellow sufferers!

My dad used to bug me quite alot when I was a teenager, because (as many people on here will I am sure agree) it is miserable to suffer badly from hayfever, and he always used to tell me that I was making a fuss and it was nothing, just a runny nose. I never really managed to make him see that it was like having a severe cold for about 7 months of the year, very tiring, irritating, and generally debilitating. During peak season I woudl be amost completely unable to sleep at night, and the cumulative effects of sleep deprivation were really quite horrible. At least the treatments now are getting better.

Piriton- 4 times a day !!!!!!!!

Blimey. I bet that made you feel really bad.

Hayfever has died off today but now to fresh problem:sneaky2: Just got off phone with family GP as got day off for feeling so rough and i've got bacterial conjunctivitus. The last thing i wanted. I thought it was a peice of woodchip or grass from yesterday but my eye keeps watering and oozing small amounts of gunge.:thumbdown:

Matty: Wooden spoon, lint, thread, salt, hot water.

Wrap the lint around the business end of the spoon, tie in place with a small amount of thread.

Boil a small bowls worth of water, stir in a table spoon of salt. Stir it up real good. Allow to cool a bit.

Soak the lint in the water and when you can handle the heat, press the spoon against yer eye, rubbing away from your nose. Do this for a few minutes per eye.

Salt will merk any bacteria quickstyle.

Also, if you think you have something in your eye that you can't get, turn your eyelid inside-out and blink loads, until your eye is streaming with tears. If you have a bit of gack in there, it'll soon wash out.

Matty: Wooden spoon, lint, thread, salt, hot water.

Wrap the lint around the business end of the spoon, tie in place with a small amount of thread.

Boil a small bowls worth of water, stir in a table spoon of salt. Stir it up real good. Allow to cool a bit.

Soak the lint in the water and when you can handle the heat, press the spoon against yer eye, rubbing away from your nose. Do this for a few minutes per eye.

Salt will merk any bacteria quickstyle.

Also, if you think you have something in your eye that you can't get, turn your eyelid inside-out and blink loads, until your eye is streaming with tears. If you have a bit of gack in there, it'll soon wash out.

All done during the day. Now on antibacterial eye drops. Flushing out with de-ionised and sterilised water. It runs continously so is trying to flush the gunge out. The eye drops are working tho.

• 4 weeks later...
Hayfever has died off today but now to fresh problem:sneaky2: Just got off phone with family GP as got day off for feeling so rough and i've got bacterial conjunctivitus. The last thing i wanted. I thought it was a peice of woodchip or grass from yesterday but my eye keeps watering and oozing small amounts of gunge.:thumbdown:

Ooooo yuck. The misus got viral conjunctivitus aabout a year ago in one eye. Her whole eye turned yellow and red, she looked like a zombie and it kept oozing and weeping. Lasted about 4 to 5 weeks before it cleared up and even then she had blurred vision for a couple of months after. Nasty orrible stuff.

Ooooo yuck. The misus got viral conjunctivitus aabout a year ago in one eye. Her whole eye turned yellow and red, she looked like a zombie and it kept oozing and weeping. Lasted about 4 to 5 weeks before it cleared up and even then she had blurred vision for a couple of months after. Nasty orrible stuff.

Cleared up within a couple of weeks which was helpful. Only had 3 days off work as well.

in my teens.. really really suffered, through my twenties was just as bad, early thirties & i seem to be 'immune' ?? took less tablets in 2009, last year hardly any, touchwood, this year none yet!! perhaps it's because i keep away from things that trigger it, mainly horses or girls that like horses...:thumbdown: !!

maybe ive just 'outgrown it'

has any one else found this??