No Notch = No Direction

Mani

just watched a tree surgeons life by mani

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2745

i wont join in the with the hand bags as this thread is humerous, and respect goes out to those big enough to shrugg off the insults.

i'm pretty sure there are some some photos there where faults could be found and critisisms made but people do work differently and have confidence where others dont....i certainly would not take a photo of the road infront of me whilst driving the car at around 70mph.

That's you....some drink and drive....I drive and shoot....but do try to limit my phone activities whilst pursuing life-on-the-wild-side..my fav spot to do this is on the Sea to Sky Highway on the way home from Whistler Mt, site of the 2010 Winter Olympics. A side note is this: That highway, which has been undergoing improvements to the tune of over $1 billion for years and years now, recently suffered a huge rockslide. I don't know how long the road was closed, but it meant that all traffic had to detour a very very long way around.

Disclaimer, no live ammo used...what once was Fujichrome is now just a funny lookin' square plastic chip.

but what is used is common cents..errr, verrrry little of that, eh?!

I do belive i've told you before mani about smokin' that much crack, it does funny things to your mind man!

Everyone should watch that vid again and they'll realise that that guy is a reincarnation of samson (i.e the strongest man ever!!!) there's no other way to explain why a man would have hair like that.

• 2 years later...

hahahaha this has been the funniest thread in ages!! and all you guys remember, its not been trained on the job by a professional that makes you a good climber, oh no, its reading a old old book from times gone by, past down from generation to generation, similar to lord of the rings, or the bible, or a mazda pickup haynes manual......mayby?.....NO

Sorry

searching through stuff unearthed this-

Just thinking about hinges though as this cropped up in the discussion

I remember thinking i had the most perfect hinge on a rather large conifer a few years back- even had a couple of guys on a rope to make sure but low and belold the hinge swivelled on a bit of dead peg and ended up about 120 degrees out from where it should have landed.

Gobs and hinges aren't foolproof either!!

Seems as though there was a lot of inefficiency in his technique, both cutting and tying off that piece. I doubt it was a real work situation As has been pointed out, he could have bombed the piece. He might have even been trying to show what not to do to a trainee watching from the ground. He was just too chill and not action enough for a real work situation.. Looked like he might have been answering questions, asked from the ground.. The main point is that it is easy to make fasle assumptions, especially when there is a language barrier.. People make up stories and then get all worked up about them. How attached to your stories are you?

One other point.............. what makes you all call that a "Step cut"... Definition of terms is crucial if we are going to have an intelligent discussion.. That is not what I call a step cut, and have never heard it used to define the cut shown here. So what do you mean by a "step cut". I had never heard the term used in any literature or on the boards before I used it to describe an extremely low back release back cut. Since then I found out that the term has been used to describe a gob which is carved out to look like a set of stairs..

Seems as though there was a lot of inefficiency in his technique, both cutting and tying off that piece. I doubt it was a real work situation As has been pointed out, he could have bombed the piece. He might have even been trying to show what not to do to a trainee watching from the ground. He was just too chill and not action enough for a real work situation.. Looked like he might have been answering questions, asked from the ground.. The main point is that it is easy to make fasle assumptions, especially when there is a language barrier.. People make up stories and then get all worked up about them. How attached to your stories are you?

One other point.............. what makes you all call that a "Step cut"... Definition of terms is crucial if we are going to have an intelligent discussion.. That is not what I call a step cut, and have never heard it used to define the cut shown here. So what do you mean by a "step cut". I had never heard the term used in any literature or on the boards before I used it to describe an extremely low back release back cut. Since then I found out that the term has been used to describe a gob which is carved out to look like a set of stairs..

This is a very commonly used term over here.

It simply descries the cut, you are using two cuts (one either side of the branch or stem) but rather than the two cuts meeting you have a "step" between the cuts.

It also describes the end of the cut wood which is "stepped".

what a great thread, kind of made me wish i had joined arbtalk earlier.

In my opinion theres a lot of speculation on why the timber was lowered there could be a lot of reasons some have been pointed out, like training, or equipment testing, but near the end of the video just underneath the tree there are some kind of barrier, which in my mind would lead me to believe the tree had to be lowered because of either flora or fauna or both.

but then there's the famous step cut. Ok some people say it was wrong others say it was Ok, well i guess you could say it would have been safer to sink cut it for the direction purpose ie to keep it from falling back on to the climber or onto some peoples imaginary house, but this wasn't the case and the only person who knows why he made a cut like that in that situation is the lad in the video, maybe he looks at this now and cringes, certainly made my ass hole pucker, ANYWAY......

This thread should be a lesson to learn from, and i know i'm still new to the forum but as i've learnt already were not here to slate other peoples work only to guide them if the most experienced of us see there is something they should of done differently or safer,

Adam....