legality of chainsaw gloves

Highland Forestry

Had a little health and safety issue raised on-site today on a large contract on a CDM site.

Can anyone tell me, is it a 'legal' requirement to wear chainsaw protective gloves, it is a reccomendation only and is there any specific way to proove with documentation that they are not required whilst operating a chainsaw?

As I understand it, the gloves regs come from the days in which chainsaws had no chain brake, and only the left handed glove needed to have chainsaw protection - that last I heard about the subject was this is was a recommendation only and that the regs were going to be abolished.

Any thoughts most welcome, this has thoroughly ruined my day.

I do not see why wearing slippery wet chainsaw gloves whilst working in rain/snow can make the job my guys do any safer - infact I believe it is thoroughly dangerous to wear slippery gloves whilst using a chainsaw and infact inviting an accident.

Let the onslaught commence!!

Matt :001_smile:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if your risk assesment can cover why your not wearing them you should be ok, It is only a recommendation (possibly mandiatory on training courses)

I dont wear them doing river work for the reason you have said, they can get wet and slippy so are actually more dangerous. I got pulled up a few times on it but once i had explained my reasoning I was ok, and havent had any issues since

if your risk assesment can cover why your not wearing them you should be ok, It is only a recommendation (possibly mandiatory on training courses)

I dont wear them doing river work for the reason you have said, they can get wet and slippy so are actually more dangerous. I got pulled up a few times on it but once i had explained my reasoning I was ok, and havent had any issues since

Charlie has it right. I've just got a pair of Arbortec gloves which are pritty good. During the snow of the winter i wore a pair of thinsulate gloves with some big yellow grippy gloves over the top. My reasoning cold wet hands and going to be knackered by vibration than without.

If you say they become slippery when wet, if it is raining, makes them dangerous then they shouldn't be worn.

If you say the chain brake will protect your hands then that is good enough.

BS EN 381-7 says suitable gloves for the task and subject to the operator’s risk assessment.

Tree Work ? Chainsaw Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

There is no statute or common law requirement that you have to wear CS gloves while using a ground saw. Any PPE requirements are guidance and industry best practise, but if it all goes T up then it will be down to you to explain why you chose to ingnore the guidelines. You will need to have a RA to show why and how you came to your decision.

And if wearing gloves is part of your contractual requirements, then just do so, as wet and cumbersome as they are.

someone i know supplies all his guys with them to be kept in a kit bag and writes out a risk assesment to say they don't need them then every time they get audited they are there if the auditor has a go at them and they don't have to stop work to go and get a pair

I find them to be cumbersome, uncomfortable, slippery when wet and with quite limited dexterity. They aren't required as part of any health and safety specification and I would never wear them, as they are completely obsolete. You can get a much better glove for half the price.

Jonathan