am i being pessimistic?

john p

I have been thinking recently about tree work in this country,are we reaching saturation point?with so many people doing it,and more pouring into the industry every year,are we gonna run out of trees to work on?ive been doing it 10 years and long ago lost count of the big trees ive removed,im sure its the same for most.will they all go?can this country sustain so many tree surgeons?or am i being melodramatic?cheers:confused1:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking recently about tree work in this country,are we reaching saturation point?with so many people doing it,and more pouring into the industry every year,are we gonna run out of trees to work on?ive been doing it 10 years and long ago lost count of the big trees ive removed,im sure its the same for most.will they all go?can this country sustain so many tree surgeons?or am i being melodramatic?cheers:confused1:

I think you have a point, there are many times more people doing tree work than there where when I first started years ago.

Many (unlike me) seem to have wives that work and so work for much less than I will, I have large equipment that allows me to complete jobs quicker than many others firms, which means I can still compete, but its much harder than it used to be.

The more people there are wanting to do a job the lower the wages/profits, thats just simple economics.

in my town, anybody with a van, pick up or estate car is now advertising as either a landscaper or a tree surgeon or block paver.

went to do a quote last week to do some 'remedial' work on a fly by night block paving job, and to be honest it looked like it had layed from a helicopter.

my advice to her was take up and redo...... by somebody who knows what they are doing

The end is nigh! when I started half of my work was dead Elm tree's and grinding stumps that were left over from the 1987 storm, needless to say that I havent cut any elm for months and as for stump grinding I charge the same now as I did in 2002 and probably do half the amount.

When I got my first chipper I had the edge over other tree companies that at the time were still cutting the branches up in the back of transit vans. There was also only a handful of stump grinders in the area and alot of people didnt even know what stump grinding was.

My old man charged £25 per man hour on jobs in the 1980 s with very few of the over heads that we all run with now, add to that the advances in the machines that we use and the amount that can be achieved compaired to the old ways of doing things and without doubt were doing more for less :thumbdown:

Approaching saturation point?! Well past it more like; there are over 100, (yes, one hundred!) "tree work" companies advertising in the YP, Thompson Local and others in Plymouth alone! There are even higher densities in the outlying towns like tavistock, south hams, etc. Good job devon is very wooded. But imo competition is very very fierce here; day rates are crazy low here for 2-3 man outfits.