poplar climbing.

cerneARB

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its a black pop you got know worrys there fun to climb and theres loads of places to tie in and there not as snappy as the hybrids or white pops. they hold a gob brilliant and if the winds blowing in the right direction you can direct branches upwards putting the gob on the top of the branch defying gravity but dont try this if your not confident or theres stuff to break underneath. another thing is its nice to see someone reducingh a pop and not bloody topping them they look real good reduced you can get good shape on them and they look even better the next year topping pops looks really naf and imo is not necessay most of the time.

how big is the tree anyway cerne, and how technical....not to discourage you, but remember you are just out of college, dont bite off more than you can chew

Its 30-35ft Steve. Got a mate doing it with me who has been climbing longer than me and he can rig stuff down. My old tutor is going to have a look at it too to give us some advice and tips. as regards technical the center main stem of the tree needs taking it out its rotten from a branch pull out, my buddy Andrew will rig it out and the rest should just be branch walking to the tips and 20-25% reduction.

Dont worry i wont try to run before i can walk , im learning all the time and slowly and i know i can call on the wealth of expereince and knowledge from you and everyone else on here.:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Right, Steve. If the tree is healthy, they're no problem. Just be aware of the wood strength issue.

Tip tying limbs and lowering butt first makes tight quarters work a breeze with poplar. Need a tag line/winch line to yard out the long limbs when they're butt heavy.

There's a yahoo here in town that bid $12000 on 3 of 'em....no drop zone.....148 feet tall, 5-7 feet on the butt. possiby 120 tons of weight! Some out of town crane service thinks they can do the job....don't know how--only 20-24 feet between the two houses--is this enough for the counterweight to swing? If he sets the 90 ton up further from the trees, (they brought a 50 ton, but it wouldn't work, don't know how the 90 will be any different) then the boom will be closer to the primaries behind him. At least two crane companies in town said they couldn't do the job...well the brush anyhow. It will take 2-3 days at least to do the job with a crane, plus well over $2000 in disposal costs to have the junk wood trucked. That's $6000-8000 in expenses. aarrggh...

I didn't get a chance to bid on the job. A friend guessed at $20k, but didn't finalize his bid when he couldn't line up a crane. He was thinking brushing the trees out, as I was, after inspecting the site..them bringing in a 23-30 ton truck mount crane for the lower big wood, as the radius would be only 20-30 feet. This would require a crane which has back outriggers that stay in relatively close, as some boom trucks do.

I'm hoping they can't do the job, as I'd like the challenge, as would some associates.

Got the job...The story is at treebuzz and the Treehouse....Craning the sticks Monday.

Slide show here...video upcoming..

I've nearly finish a job of taking down 15 hybrid poplars, approx 90 foot each, priced it for 15 days, some are smaller and take half a day and some take 1.5 days so all in all we are averaging one a day, all need rigging and some we can't get to the bases to fit the GRCS. Two trees left and two days left to finish it on time. Anyway I'm fairly sick of poplars now. I have a tiny bit of video, where should I put it? Here or rigging and roping, or video area?

I've nearly finish a job of taking down 15 hybrid poplars, approx 90 foot each, priced it for 15 days, some are smaller and take half a day and some take 1.5 days so all in all we are averaging one a day, all need rigging and some we can't get to the bases to fit the GRCS. Two trees left and two days left to finish it on time. Anyway I'm fairly sick of poplars now. I have a tiny bit of video, where should I put it? Here or rigging and roping, or video area?

Just post it Rupert, I would love to see it.

:001_cool:

Sorry, my bad, we are pollarding them at 5m, not felling. Under some of the trees there is two hedgrows one on each side and after that there is some newly planted trees. That was only on three of the trees, we could cut a way in and get to the bases but the grcs operator wouldn't be able to get in and out quickly and he wouldn't be able to see what was going on or cummunicate with the other groundie. The stuff couldn't be lowered to the bases of the trees might have been a better way of say it. It either needed driftlining with the climber lowering the pieces from below each cut, or skiline with the climber controling in the same way. We fiddled about with both methods and got there in the end but I'm yet to find a perfect set up.

The only video I have is from one of the trees that we had better access too.