poplar climbing.

cerneARB

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what steve said but......... re-pollards give me the willies some times, especially if its windy.

very soft and nice to spike up

agree with that ben!

i dont mind em... brittle but very predictable in terms of cuts to work with...evan better to fell i think they are one of my favourites you can rig out a 70ft beast over a block of flats by lunch time as they are that easy to work with.

if your scared they are gonna break you will struggle though.

what can be off putting is when 5" limbs come off in your hands!

One thing you should be ready for is when cutting large upright branches. If you're making your cut back to the tree, leaving a stub for when using a simple butt-hitch, you may run into a very dangerous situation.

Make sure that you can easily pull yourself away from the cut, as you're making it.

I've had a few large branches split into what's known as a "Barber-Chair." If this happens and you're close to the split, it could easily kill you or trap you between the tree and limb, making amputation the only recourse of action to removing you from the tree.

Here’s a crude pic of what sometimes happens…

2690092409_38412e9bd8.jpg

Right, Steve. If the tree is healthy, they're no problem. Just be aware of the wood strength issue.

Tip tying limbs and lowering butt first makes tight quarters work a breeze with poplar. Need a tag line/winch line to yard out the long limbs when they're butt heavy.

There's a yahoo here in town that bid $12000 on 3 of 'em....no drop zone.....148 feet tall, 5-7 feet on the butt. possiby 120 tons of weight! Some out of town crane service thinks they can do the job....don't know how--only 20-24 feet between the two houses--is this enough for the counterweight to swing? If he sets the 90 ton up further from the trees, (they brought a 50 ton, but it wouldn't work, don't know how the 90 will be any different) then the boom will be closer to the primaries behind him. At least two crane companies in town said they couldn't do the job...well the brush anyhow. It will take 2-3 days at least to do the job with a crane, plus well over $2000 in disposal costs to have the junk wood trucked. That's $6000-8000 in expenses. aarrggh...

I didn't get a chance to bid on the job. A friend guessed at $20k, but didn't finalize his bid when he couldn't line up a crane. He was thinking brushing the trees out, as I was, after inspecting the site..them bringing in a 23-30 ton truck mount crane for the lower big wood, as the radius would be only 20-30 feet. This would require a crane which has back outriggers that stay in relatively close, as some boom trucks do.

I'm hoping they can't do the job, as I'd like the challenge, as would some associates.