New Technique for Hazard Tree Removal.

RopeKnight

Stem trace or Girdle limbs, leaders or root flare.

Helps to reduce the water weight in the tree prior to their removal.

Similar effect to removal during a drought vs wet season.

What do you think?

How much water weight can be avoided? Any one have a percent dry and dead opposed to wet and alive? 20-30-40%?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be a nice thing to do but mostly people want there tree down as soon as you can do it. I heard people ringbark standing trees in Italy for future felling for firewood. The wood is then mostly dried standing. I always thought this sounded like a great thing to do. You might not get the same results in a damp uk woodland that you would in other parts of the world but on some sites it may work very well.

I think the moisture content would be very site and species specific. Other factors like timing of ring barking and age of tree would also affect how quickly the tree lost moisture.

Stem trace or Girdle limbs, leaders or root flare.

Helps to reduce the water weight in the tree prior to their removal.

Similar effect to removal during a drought vs wet season.

What do you think?

How much water weight can be avoided? Any one have a percent dry and dead opposed to wet and alive? 20-30-40%?

By doing what you are suggesting aren't you are making the tree more hazardous for the climber?...by encouraging decay?...which surely would reduce the structural strength of a tree which is already hazardous?

Actively reducing the structural strength of a tree you may have to rig off one day may not be such a good idea?

I ring the tree a month or two in advance. Even a week or two may be sufficient to accomplish this.

Removal of cambium layer and potentially a few mm of wood, would not increase hazard potential much at all.

Water will not be translocated into the crown with any effeciency and leaves ,twigs and branches that hold the greatest amount of water will way less.

I experienced this two years ago with Imminently hazard rated Norway Maple The main wood was lighter and the limb wood rigging and climbing I performed proved the technique viable for weight reduction thus safer removal.

This same practice is applied to Invasive Non-Native species like Rhamnus cathartica here in Canada. Ringing the tree depletes the tree of water and stored energy and repeat or ctg and suckering is avoided.

Many situations this technique may not be an option but we all like options and here is one for your future consideration when you encounter something high risk and with out a mewps/crane options.

I turn 43 this year and handling heavy wet wood for another year after 20 years has taken its toll. If I started practicing this long ago, I am sure my shoulder and elbow would be in far better shape.

One of the draw backs is wt wood flexes, chips and cuts more easily.

You win some you lose some.:001_smile:

By doing what you are suggesting aren't you are making the tree more hazardous for the climber?...by encouraging decay?...which surely would reduce the structural strength of a tree which is already hazardous?

Actively reducing the structural strength of a tree you may have to rig off one day may not be such a good idea?

Edited by RopeKnight
clear and conscise

Ring barking a tree does not stop water being transported to the crown. It stops sugars being transported to the roots. Water is still transported by the xylem formed during previous growing seasons. I dont believe there would be any noticable loss in weight after a month. Water uptake ceases once the roots have died after using up al the available stored sugar.

I think the best solution to your problem is to employ a groundy.