New Technique for Hazard Tree Removal.

RopeKnight

Most, if not all, timber increases in strength as it dries, oak up to 50% for example. However these figures come from studying the controlled (kiln) effects of sawn, healthy timber. I dont think it would be safe to assume the same with an un-healthy, dying or dead, standing tree.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My nic name with the 1st tree company out of school was "Two Snips" Horti gone Arbori. I love to prune and climbing in a tree with a small tiger for a friend is pretty cool to.:thumbup:

Not that far mate haha I used to laugh at that sort of work but since working for myself and getting this sort of work I get more return from it and my machines get a break don't get me wrong from my posts my love is in big takedowns and we've got plenty big uns on next week can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

SAFELY EFFECIENTLY EFFECTIVELY WITHOUT FEAR

Why are you here?

Because you are serious about learning more and there are questions in need of answers.

The TRUTH’s

1. DEATH and serious injury is a reality in our industry.

2. The WISE Investigate, gather data and experiment before concluding.

3. CONSULTATION with experts in Engineering, Bio-mechanics, Physicists, Plant scientists is crucial for full comprehension in a subject that involves tree workers lives.

4. Time is limited. Decay progresses thus increasing to hazard potential

5. Time is valuable.

6. Flexibility does not ensure strength. Wet wood versus Dry(er) wood.

7. Wood will gain strength as it dries.

8. The strength of wood can be compromised when it dries too quickly.

9. Decay organisms are affected by moisture. Decay Organisms dormancy/vigor is reduced with a decrease in moisture.

10. Trees/limbs are material conducting living levers. Greater moisture/weight at the levers end of hazard tree/limb can increase hazard potential of said limb

11. Water in a trees system can be reduced with the strategic removal of water conducting Xylem

The Problem(s)

As a trainer and Arborist, I have learned about one problem that every single serious Arborist faces and this problem will definitively help you, or break you from accomplishing your goals!

Our problem is to confidently know what a given tree or limb is capable of supporting.

Supporting the working weight of the climber including the working weight of the rigging.

What can a limb support? Green versus dry(er).

A new technique that when strategically applied can accomplish both Weight reduction and a net gain in structural strength.

We are trying to solve a problem for all climbing arborists! The problem is with knowing what to expect from trees. We can put a man on the moon yet the life of arborists is consistently being sacrificed.

Specifically with hazardous trees and the forces we apply to them.

Example:

A highly Skilled, Knowledgeable and Athletic Arborist is in charge of the removal or dismantling of parts or of the whole tree.

In the process of dismantling a tree with incorporation and application of all the most up to date equipment and practices present today, the tree fails at or below the rigging point and the climber is seriously wounded or KIA.

It has happened and continues to happen.

Please, thoughtfully consider your system. Now step back in time and consider situations where you or a colleague has been injured or killed. Now imagine the same scenario with an increase in structural strength and loss of weight from a compliment technique added to the system.

Preventable?

I really look forward to your feedback, and guess what!

I experience exactly the same thing as you do.

I'm lost off but must be something in it I've climbed poplars and snapped healthy branches off easy but smaller dead ones on the tree are harder to snap?

Would this technique also help with crown reductions?

Yes instead of pruning off a limb one could perform the stem trace and let nature take its course. When and Where ever it is appropriate.

Thanks I had not looked at it that way.:001_smile:

I have been practicing stem tracing to control growth, water sprouting and to encourage adventitious growth on tree stems and limbs.

What it does is tie up energy, reduces translocation of material and with timing concentrates hormones released at bud break and onset of growth.

Crown maintenance yes.

It works. Similar techniques are applied to Bonsai.

I learned this practice as a Horticulturist for use on Fruit trees, Training young trees and Floriculture.