New Technique for Hazard Tree Removal.

RopeKnight

a genuine question and in no way meaning to rain on your parade (i admire the pioneering thought behind the idea)....

if a tree is deemed so unsafe and unstable that it would require lightening, then surely it would be unsafe to leave it in situe for any period of time to allow it to lose the weight?

i hope this is taken as food for thought and not as criticism.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this new technique. Doesn't require much energy and seems to be pretty effective.

I'd argue that it requires quite a bit of energy. You need to visit the site one extra time/day. That takes time and energy that could otherwise be spent earning money.

I am guessing here that it would not be an issue with the SAFE WORK Practices.

I am not suggesting creating a greater hazard potential, it is removing the cambuim and a few rings closest to the cambuim on the root flare and up into the main limbs/leaders.

So percentage wise m/b 100cm DBh and girdle of 1cm( m/b 3 rings) is only 1% of the wood. 2 cm may be more effective. It may suffice to have to only girdle sections of circumference or perpendicular to the vertical plane of uptake below a leader or limb or just at the root flare. Many, many things to consider.

Really appreciate the input, you all are quite thoughtful in the attempt to make sense of this.

I like that the potential at the end of the day the loads we experience are lighter, the load handled in the tree, load hauled to the chipper is lighter and the load transported.

We take down a lot of big trees and because of TPO's or preservation orders they need to be in serious decline so I would prefer they were as strong as possible when up them I know a week or two of no cambium layer shouldn't make a difference but saves my paranoia haha I like your thinking though mate it's interesting. I've always wondered when my old gaffers sent me on a job removing ivy from a tree why they didn't spend ten minutes severing a section out to make it easier when we got there a couple of month later:sneaky2:

You are obviously an intelectual, i am not. I just climb up the tree and cut bits off them, simples:biggrin:

If you put tree dismantling into an equation and gave it to some physics geniuses, they would not want a little old human in there messing it up.:001_rolleyes:

Bumble bees shouldnt be able to fly as far as the boffins are concerned, yet they do.

Although you think you are reducing weight, you are removing strength aswell, if you do not have the confidence or skill to carry out safe tree work, you shouldn be, this job is very unforgiving, so i think you should consider a career choice before this job does it for you:thumbdown:

That's how I feel maye I've worked at so many companies when dangerous tree comes up

it was "get the lightest climber to do it" at 18 I was working bad trees because I was the "lightest" climber the other lads at most were half a stone heavier! People get too technical IMO it's more about feeling what you are doing and feeling what the tree is doing I lime your thinking though mate we wouldn't learn new things if we were all old fashioned knuckle heads like me haha