Keeping Rehydrated - Your Solutions??

Sambo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't have thought there'd be any side effects if you are doing hard physically excertion.

At the beggining of summer I suffered the same banging headaches and nausia. Some people on here don't drink lots of water, just cups of tea etc and say they don't suffer dehydration.

All I can say is they're drinking so much tea they've not got time to do anything physical or they're just not working hard enough.

Might not be so good supping them like pop whilst in an armchair watching coronation street :001_tongue:

I always get splitting headaches and nausea if I'm working flat out on a big site. I'd love to figure out a way to combat this situation. I've had those rehydrate sachets in the past when I've been ill, but never thought of using them in work. Do you know of any side effects/problems of taking them when you're not ill?

Theres no side effects ..if children can take upto 5 sachets a day for 4 days.. 1 in the morning wont kill you. I only ever take them if 'I know' im gonna be sweating like a pig and drinking bucket loads and at risk from getting dehydrated. Which has probably been twice this year.

Originally Posted by Phenom

Warm water is best if your exerting yourself, its less of a shock to the system. Might not be everyone's cup of tea though

Waters ok if your feeling fine but dioralyte is 25times more effective at rehydration than water.

Originally Posted by Tom Dunlap

Whenever there is a discussion about hydration 'salt' is always mentioned. Be sure to do more reading on the topic of electrolyte balance from credible sources. Adding table salt, sodium chloride, to your intake is not necessarily the best thing to do. Eating more fresh fruits and veggies will keep your electrolytes pretty darn close to normal. This is a very complex topic and deserves more research.

If you think your gonna OD on hydration salts :confused1: take a trip down the chemist where they can advise you on what to take if your feeling dehydrated.

when i was training in Thailand, I probably ran about 35 - 40 miles per week on top of training for maybe 4-5 hours per day. Even though we ran early morn and late afternoon, the combination of heat and about 95% humidity really took it out of you. All the boxers recommended electrolyte powder to help with the re-hydration. Some days I used a packet in the morn and evening and it did the trick. Very rarely do I sweat like I did in those days but on the hot days I have used the same method when i get dehydrated.

Sambo - also I think when you are new to the industry you tend to sweat just at the thought of starting a saw. As you improve and become more efficient IMO you will not feel the effects so much. But as a few people have said look out for the symptoms, take regular breaks and dont sunbathe on your lunch break...:

There is no need for rehydration salts,sports drinks etc, You are all doing it wrong.

I never suffer from dehydration because I'm a lazy git:001_smile: Just dont work as hard and you willl probably live a bit longer :001_tongue:

On a more serious note advice I have been given is drink when you are thristy 'not' just because you are hot.Unless you are eating super healthy food then you probably have enough salt its the water you need when things go wrong. Since you loose alot of heat through the head remove your helmet now and then to cool down, and fook the hse it will kill you.

when i was training in Thailand, I probably ran about 35 - 40 miles per week on top of training for maybe 4-5 hours per day. Even though we ran early morn and late afternoon, the combination of heat and about 95% humidity really took it out of you. All the boxers recommended electrolyte powder to help with the re-hydration. Some days I used a packet in the morn and evening and it did the trick. Very rarely do I sweat like I did in those days but on the hot days I have used the same method when i get dehydrated.

Sambo - also I think when you are new to the industry you tend to sweat just at the thought of starting a saw. As you improve and become more efficient IMO you will not feel the effects so much. But as a few people have said look out for the symptoms, take regular breaks and dont sunbathe on your lunch break...:

Yeah - sounds like you're right there about the experience! where can i get electrolyte powder from by the way?

cheers to everyone for the valuable info!! First thread i've posted and i'm well chuffed with the response! great to know i'm coming into an industry with so many well informed and helpful people in it!!! :thumbup:

Every summer ive suffered with dehydration so this year ive started to climb with a camel back which I found doesnt really get in the way and even on a day when it isnt that hot i find that i still drink a lot.

I also take 3l of gatoraid with me each day and try to drink that, so min 5l per day.