Keeping Rehydrated - Your Solutions??

Sambo

get the blower in your boots cools them down good.

the blower could be used to cool the climber too. Usual cautions...keep some distance...eye and ear protection...etc.

When I was a safety supervisor on a tree project in New Orleans, LA the climbers were required to go into the tree with full Camelbacks. They were monitored to make sure that they were drinking while they climbed too.

When I'm working in hot conditions I'll start the day with two full Camelback containers. they're stuffed with ice cubes and refridgerated water at home. the extra goes in my lunch pail.

For on ground drinking I'll mix ice tea at about half strength and freeze three liter bottles half full. In the morning they get topped off with the rest of the ice tea that's been in the fridge. It's rare that I don't have cool liquids to drink for the whole day. My lunch pail/cooler is big though :001_tongue:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your dehydrated but still drinking plenty you need to replace the salts your losing through sweating. Normal drinks wont replace those and you'll only further dilute the salts in your body causing an electrolyte imbalance. Thats what causes the fatigue cramps, nausea spliting headache, and generally feeling totally sh!t.

I take rehydration salts when im stuffed, though its probably best to take them prior/during work.

Very interesting info about electrolyte imbalance! I've suffered some or all of these symptoms at various points in the last few weeks and just drank more water - making me feel worse! Many thanks for enlightening me!

By the way, where can you get rehydration salts from?

Whenever there is a discussion about hydration 'salt' is always mentioned. Be sure to do more reading on the topic of electrolyte balance from credible sources. Adding table salt, sodium chloride, to your intake is not necessarily the best thing to do. Eating more fresh fruits and veggies will keep your electrolytes pretty darn close to normal. This is a very complex topic and deserves more research.

Whenever there is a discussion about hydration 'salt' is always mentioned. Be sure to do more reading on the topic of electrolyte balance from credible sources. Adding table salt, sodium chloride, to your intake is not necessarily the best thing to do. Eating more fresh fruits and veggies will keep your electrolytes pretty darn close to normal. This is a very complex topic and deserves more research.

Good post! ,IMO.

I use a cambelback on a hot day too. I also take more frequent, short breaks. Lay off the tea and coffee, it'll make you pee more!.

Get your helmet off in the shade of the crown every now and then. If you make a fist and it feels weak, you know its too late - you've already dehydrated!.

Sharing the climbing with a second climber really helps too.

At the start and end of the day get plenty of drink in you (but don't go on the lash the night before!).

Good point Tom, sensible suggestion.

The amount we do sweat out though is not replaceable through normal diet. It has to be put back artificailly.

Table salt is an emergency quick fix measure taught to us in the Army as part of our first aid training.

But times have moved on and all sorts of remedies and potions and sports drinks are available now from such as sports stores and health stores.