big fat gypsy weddings

Martyn Amos

to be honest mate where i am in south wales,there are no sites!

gypos have not set up around here for years,:

are you sure mate, isnt there one behind tescos in pontypridd????

and theres plenty in cardiff outskirts

they may not be on your doorstep but they are are close enough to pay you a visit!!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am neither Green Nor Orange and definately not Irish (& boy I hate THOSE conotations/associations) and object to being called a terrorist.

Unlike some of?/most of? the travelling community I pay taxes, do not use/abuse the benefits system, abide by the rules and do not use the threat of violence to achieve what I want.

We also bought some land, with money earned & taxed & taxed & taxed again, applied for planning permission etc etc, etc etc.

You know, like most folk , working within the rules.

The above are however only my preceptions you understand Lee.

PS

per your comment/s Lee you too have preceptions? yes?

Edited by difflock

Lee, I will jump back into this thread this once because you have made some good points my brother, Mothers eyebrows.

I will point out that you are probably not on the best forum to come up with pro-traveller arguments!

For the record I spent the happiest years of my life living in a caravan working for Alfred Mac on the roads, but decided it wasn't the best way to bring up my family. My choice.

Yes, every government we have wants to control us. I vote every 4 years then get on with my life.

If I really can't stand it any more, I will do some serious travelling....

:thumbup1:

I am neither Green Nor Orange and definately not Irish (& boy I hate THOSE conotations/associations) and object to being called a terrorist.

Unlike some of?/most of? the travelling community I pay taxes, do not use/abuse the benefits system, abide by the rules and do not use the threat of violence to achieve what I want.

We also bought some land, with money earned & taxed & taxed & taxed again, applied for planning permission etc etc, etc etc.

You know, like most folk , working within the rules.

The above are however only my preceptions you understand Lee.

PS

per your comment/s Lee you too have preceptions? yes?

Think Lee might have been showing you a stereotype...

Lee, why do they need land with walls and in many cases chalet type park homes, not

caravans??

Its OK slagging off the government for wanting every one to pay their way, but do Gypsies not use the NHS?

Why should we have to pay for it, but they get it for free??

Chalets and walled sites, no point having mobile caravans if you can't stop on the old traditional camp grounds, but saying that most travellers have a small tourer caravan to get away in the summer to horse fairs or visit relatives on other camps, or pull up in the various places like B&Q carpark it has to be said

See its not about the actual living in a caravan its about being within farting distance of your family, family comes first and foremost to them, they hate being apart, how would you like it if one day when your girls get married, instead of having to move 100 miles away, your girl and her husband move next door nice way to live isn't it, you see her everyday you see and play an active part in your grand children's upbringing, in a way its like non travellers did years ago when they lived in villages and people weren't forced to live miles from family..

Next question, the NHS, Dave regardless if you live in a house, a caravan site or on a field you own [and trust me they all have an address] escapes the tax man, over the last few years I have helped no end of travellers fill in self employment forms, weather they put every penny in the books is another matter, but then that applies to everyone in society, so if your paying tax why would you not use the NHS.

I'm not going to say no traveller is on the fiddle, but you must remember up until the last 30 years many travellers, undertook seasonal nomadic farm labouring, no schooling for the adults or the kids, lots of over 50's can't read, so running a legit biz for SOME might be rather daunting if you can't read or write, but I'm happy to say most kids go to school and learn to read and write and a large percentage go on to further education, for example building related courses, my mates boy represented the UK in the international bricklaying championships, and my mates niece represents the country as an events rider Frostie's Royal showing is just Grrreat, as pauper Phoebe lords it over Zara | Mail Online

As for the girls and how they dress, the little girls are dressing up, and emulating exactly what they see on MTV or the like and also copying there older sisters, the life a a traveller girl is very monotonous to be honest, they aren't allowed boyfriends some have to be in the company of a relative whenever they go out, they don't finish education as a rule, and end up cleaning , and looking after children life for girls compared to settled people is very limiting and in some peoples eyes oppressive, the only time they get to really let there hair down is at a party or a wedding, so they do go OTT BUT they are in the company of there own people, they aren't allowed to drink and woe betide any man that can't control himself!

Its one day daddy or big brother won't be dishing out chores, don't forget these girls don't go to nightclubs so in one way they don't really know how to act in such an environment,other than what they have seen on music videos and TBH I haven't seen many girls act or dance like this, I think a lot of what we saw was egging on by the film makers

Put it like this lots of travellers aren't at all happy about how the girls have been portrayed One big fat Gypsy protest

I will point out that you are probably not on the best forum to come up with pro-traveller arguments!

:

For those that dont know Lee, he was one of the founding members of Arbtalk, and a Moderator here for quite some time. He has always been vocal in his support for the travelling fraternity here, sometimes its refreshing to hear another side, another viewpoint to help us understand one another. :001_smile:

For those that dont know Lee, he was one of the founding members of Arbtalk, and a Moderator here for quite some time. He has always been vocal in his support for the travelling fraternity here, sometimes its refreshing to hear another side, another viewpoint to help us understand one another. :001_smile:

I for one find it fascinating. Im am not for or against. I am "each to their own".

Some really interesting stuff there Lee.

Ive got to say after reading Andys post I'm not arguing against Lee as I have very good friends who are travelers there are great ones and bad ones as with every group of people. To let them get away with too much and setting up illegal camps would only encourage the bad of the bunch abuse the human rights thing. I agree totally that the tv program will encourage bad behavior and edit things to make it look worse, you only need to look at the amount of people at the weddings to show it's a farce because they are normally much much bigger. I've been in Lee's position defending them and against them other times, I may come across as one sided at times but iam usually on the fence like in the stihl v husky argument:lol: you can guarantee there will be a forum or something somewhere where travelers are arguing about us lot tarring us with the same side of the bush it's just life:001_smile:

ive got to say i have worked for many gypsy/travellers and have even became super friends with quite a few if i rang any of them up at this minute and say somethinkg like I.E i have broken down they would say no problem i come and tow you home not say all of them are good but like all aspects of like good and bad in every walks of life but the ones i know are fab