Hard Times

grumpydavesmith

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was once told "its not what you are selling,but how you sell it".

So I have rebranded all my Firewood.

Here is a Glossary of Terms:

Kiln Dried:Pile Covered with a Stolen Tarp

Air Dried :Tarp Stolen off Pile

Oak: Any Hardwood without Tell Tale Bark Attached

Woak : "White Oak" Actually its Willow without any Bark

Canadian Furnace Ceder :(Leylandii)

Assorted Fruit Tree: Bits of Plum Tree,mainly Branches Sprayed with Ribeena.

Soft Wood: Pallets I have nicked

If any Clients moan that any of the above won't burn.I offer to visit and show them how to start a Fire Correctly.Its a great way to have a look inside their House etc.

Absolute class. Canadian Furnace Cedar will live in my mind (and business plan!) forever.

Was just wondering during these hard times when work can be in short supply, what do you guys do to earn some extra cash? I've only been going around 9 months and work is very short at the moment, i'm expanding into logs but these wont be ready till later in the year. Was thinking of maybe offering a Grass cutting service, but i imagine this is very cut throat with low margins?? What do you guys think?

Cheers

Dave

Grass cutting in january is probably not a good solution!

Logs, for cash, is how i get through january!!

Fill your boots from March to October and put enough money away so that ANY work during November to February is pure profit.

I pay myself a salary from the tree account to personal account every month and only spend the contents of the tree account on diesel, spares and other tree stuff (makes accounting nice and easy too). Come October the account is nicely flush and means if I dont want to work for 4 months then I dont have to and i will still get a monthly wage, anything I do make during that time could be either pee'd up the wall, paid to me as a bonus or spent on new kit over and above the budgeted stuff.

Always plan for the worst, I always budget for a few rained off days a month and a seriously quiet winter, that way if you work every day in a month you will be up and if winter is still busy you will be flush in the spring. Last January I did about £500 worth of work due to the snow which just covered expenses so without the saving I would have been living on fresh air. This year has seen £3k already this month, all profit due to saving in the summer. If this carries on it will be new car in the summer.

Plan properly and you don't need to be searching around for ways to make money in the winter doing things you don't really want to do.

Fill your boots from March to October and put enough money away so that ANY work during November to February is pure profit.

I pay myself a salary from the tree account to personal account every month and only spend the contents of the tree account on diesel, spares and other tree stuff (makes accounting nice and easy too). Come October the account is nicely flush and means if I dont want to work for 4 months then I dont have to and i will still get a monthly wage, anything I do make during that time could be either pee'd up the wall, paid to me as a bonus or spent on new kit over and above the budgeted stuff.

Always plan for the worst, I always budget for a few rained off days a month and a seriously quiet winter, that way if you work every day in a month you will be up and if winter is still busy you will be flush in the spring. Last January I did about £500 worth of work due to the snow which just covered expenses so without the saving I would have been living on fresh air. This year has seen £3k already this month, all profit due to saving in the summer. If this carries on it will be new car in the summer.

Plan properly and you don't need to be searching around for ways to make money in the winter doing things you don't really want to do.

This is great advice for anyone entering this profession

Prepare for the worse:thumbup:

I was once told "its not what you are selling,but how you sell it".

So I have rebranded all my Firewood.

Here is a Glossary of Terms:

Kiln Dried:Pile Covered with a Stolen Tarp

Air Dried :Tarp Stolen off Pile

Oak: Any Hardwood without Tell Tale Bark Attached

Woak : "White Oak" Actually its Willow without any Bark

Canadian Furnace Ceder :(Leylandii)

Assorted Fruit Tree: Bits of Plum Tree,mainly Branches Sprayed with Ribeena.

Soft Wood: Pallets I have nicked

If any Clients moan that any of the above won't burn.I offer to visit and show them how to start a Fire Correctly.Its a great way to have a look inside their House etc.

This is not just firewood, this is M&S firewood!