Yew wood

Logarithm

Hi,I have yew wood that has been in my yard for around 8-9 months too good for firewood and so it was put aside for the wood turning folk.

What should I do with now,its been exposed to the elements and is holding moisture,should I sell it as it is or should I put it away in the dry for another season/year as I dont know how it should be received for wood turning.

59765911ea823_yewwood002.jpg.68a1db06241d5e66733d3abcfb3b3a63.jpg

59765911e6518_yewwood001.jpg.a79952d948c361e3d44df350863fe184.jpg

Edited by Logarithm
forgot to attatch pictures

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,I have yew wood that has been in my yard for around 8-9 months too good for firewood and so it was put aside for the wood turning folk.

What should I do with now,its been exposed to the elements and is holding moisture,should I sell it as it is or should I put it away in the dry for another season/year as I dont know how it should be received for wood turning.

How much is there? if theres enough to fill a lorry? i will buy it off you know,if you decide to sell.But it would go for firewood

Hi eggsarascal, I wont mess you or anyone else about and tell you where we`re at..I just wanted to put the feelers out because I thought there would be a market for the wood to be sold for `turning`so was hoping someone would come forward that is after yew in this quantity (level load on a trasit I reckon).

If theres no real intrest I will process it myself and keep it aside for next season.

I didnt put it in classifieds cos I cant put a price on it so was hoping for advice on the best way to value it.

My heart is saying do the right thing and let the wood go to a nice home on the table with some nice fruit in it,but my brain is saying process it and LET IT BURN BURN BURN!:devil-smiley-017:

Hi eggsarascal, I wont mess you or anyone else about and tell you where we`re at..I just wanted to put the feelers out because I thought there would be a market for the wood to be sold for `turning`so was hoping someone would come forward that is after yew in this quantity (level load on a trasit I reckon).

If theres no real intrest I will process it myself and keep it aside for next season.

I didnt put it in classifieds cos I cant put a price on it so was hoping for advice on the best way to value it.

My heart is saying do the right thing and let the wood go to a nice home on the table with some nice fruit in it,but my brain is saying process it and LET IT BURN BURN BURN!:devil-smiley-017:

Hi Logarithm, thats cool mate, i was just chancing my arm really:thumbup1:didnt know how much was there, just thought with you being quite close it might be worth a run over to you. Get it split and on the pile,think of the money:thumbup:

what sort of diameter are the rings mate? an where roughly in essex are you?

Good for you for thinking of saving the wood for turners but once you've done that several times - I've done it more but I'm a fool unto myself - you'll probably stop. Let's say they're a fickle bunch who cause exasperation to say the least and if you dare mention actually paying more than a pint for the wood... Apologies to the turners who aren't like that - and I know there are plenty - but I'm afraid you're let down too often by the others.

A couple of years ago I would have sent many e-mails and made some calls to sell to turners. Now - just take an axe to it. Locally (the south-east) I'm told there's a glut of yew available.

Good for you for thinking of saving the wood for turners but once you've done that several times - I've done it more but I'm a fool unto myself - you'll probably stop. Let's say they're a fickle bunch who cause exasperation to say the least and if you dare mention actually paying more than a pint for the wood... Apologies to the turners who aren't like that - and I know there are plenty - but I'm afraid you're let down too often by the others.

A couple of years ago I would have sent many e-mails and made some calls to sell to turners. Now - just take an axe to it. Locally (the south-east) I'm told there's a glut of yew available.

Well i have some nice Laburnum and Yew,air dried under cover for at least 24 months....thinking i would save it for the woodturners,who maybe give me a fair price for the gorgeous wood that it is/can become,and especially after storing it for so long :001_huh:

After reading the last few posts i am tempted to just burn it!! :confused1:

Well i have some nice Laburnum and Yew,air dried under cover for at least 24 months....thinking i would save it for the woodturners,who maybe give me a fair price for the gorgeous wood that it is/can become,and especially after storing it for so long :001_huh:

After reading the last few posts i am tempted to just burn it!! :confused1:

trouble is, from what i can see, people who have got some nice wood, suitable for turning etc, either want stupid money for it or advertise it 'asking for offers' ...... there has been some burrs etc that have come along with the seller asking for offers..

as a buyer, im not interested in making offers, after all, im the buyer; not the seller!!!! if your selling wood advertise it with a price, negotiate/haggle from there,

if your asking for offers dont be upset when turners/carvers offer you beer money, if it was that easy to turn the wood into a big profit everybody would be turning!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sneaky2: