How much for a service?

J Scott

£49 ph is a fair price if the workshop are spot on and can fix the saw quickly but in most cases your not going to get that , i dont tend to use anyone , i would rather fix it myself learning a bit slong the way and having the piece of mind that the work has been done properly .

maybe you could use this saw to learn a bit more about fixing them as you go . im sure there are several guys other than me on here that will give you a helping hand along the way .

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds outrageous - that's almost BMW dealership prices.

Like they said above either have a go yourself or shop around.

Round our way theres a good place where they charge about £20/hr max.

If things are a bit slack they have been known to spend a few minutes tweeking the carb for no charge (if they can get it going OK)!

I wouldn't go anywhere else.

We have set charges £52.00 for a full service this covers everything, even if it's on the bench for 3 hours. Any other job is between £25-32 depending on how involved it is.

If it's just a tune up or a 5 min job we don't charge anything. :001_smile:

And we don't charge anything to quote if we rip it down and the pistons knackered and you don't want it repaired, we hand it back in a box so you can use it for spares. We do get the odd numpty that wants us to put it back together so he can sell it, we refuse now as we have seen the same saw come back in several times and I don't want to be part of ripping someone off.:001_smile:

£49 an hour doesn't seem out the window to me if there good. If they can do it in half an hour which is all it would realistically take £25 sounds ok??

It's important to build up a good relationship with a local dealer. Unfortunately something that I don't have at the moment due to the majority of my work moving 200miles north.....

R

What is the saw, ebay is a minefield of saws with an array of problems that, unless you have the correct kit and experience, you will have problems to get working.

If I am servicing saws, I always ensure the repair bill fits in with the value of the saw. Who is going to pay £100 to sercice a B&Q special?

If the saw is half decent and you want me to give it a good going over, courier it down and I will have it on the bench and then in the wood and back - £10 delivery back to youand will advise cost of repair and it won't be £49 p/Hr

I do this for a hobby and the only saw that I haven't fixed had been submerged in water and left in a shed for a month or two - corrosion in the bore but it did run for a few seconds!

Choice is yours

Spud

if you let me know the model of saw i,l email you a workshop manual for your saw. let us know the problem and we can point you in the right direction of whats wrong.

cheers Mark.

That would be great Mark i'll send you a PM :thumbup1:

It's a Stihl MS260. I have a MS270 and love it! thought it would do for a good spare if anythin went wrong (like other day when i hit some fencing wire that had grown into the tree :sneaky2:) i'll see what comes out from it might not be too bad but will look into sorting it myself next time gotta learn somehow :001_cool:

Jay

Our local Stihl dealer also does tractors and they would probably be charging somewhere around the £50 an hour mark. They have to charge a decent rate don't they? Premises, electric, business rates, water and they also have a vast array of tools as well. I think £50 an hour + Vat is far too expensive for me but as a going rate for repairing tools i think it's a bargain and as a bonafida Stihl dealer anything goes wrong you just chip on back round there and it'll get sorted. Take it off for your ten pounds an hour gig at your own peril!!:001_tongue: I also think that in the new Stihl catalogue there is actually a list of prices for repairs but don't quote me on this have a look:lol: