Lets see your Guns.

Sam Thompson

As some of you may have guessed I am relatively new to full bore center fire stuff . I have been a shot gun man since the age of 14 and am close to 72 now . I can no longer lift and swing my browning Citorie O/U due to my injures . The browning has won me " mutleys " at clay shooting , served me well below the mean high water mark , Pigion shooting from a hide and game shooting ( on beaters days ) but cant do it now so I thought I would try rifles . ( bench rest / bean bag on the bonnet etc etc . ) . I have had air rifles over the years but not proper center fire guns . The Daystate Huntsman Revere  ( .22 ) has impressed me . At the indoor range I can put 11 pellets in the black ( 5p piece size ) and the grouping is so tight you can not tell how many .  (25yds) Its not my skill but the quality of the gun . I just have to hold it still ! . This has a Hawk scope . The Vector optics scope for the big gun is a 30mm tube . Its a Paragon 5-25x56 generation 2 with side focus . I looked at a cow out of my loft window that had to be 500yds away and with a twiddle of adjustment and resting the scope on the window frame ( not mounted to a gun ) the cow looked to be 40 yds away ! Anyway I appreciate all your advice on this subject . The club goes to Bisley once a month and maybe I can try it there . Regards clicks on turrets with my .22 I don't alter the zero once set , just hold over ( or under ) as it needs . 

When considering budget, look at the cost of a trip to Bisley and the cost of ammo. Then decide how much you can afford to piss away on a scope that doesn’t track. 

I’m very economic but one of the things I’ll spend money on without flinching is rifle scopes. 

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 2

There are limits tho, a 2k scope on a 1k rifle seems a little bit ridiculous when the rifle isn't designed for long distance MOA accuracy.

Unless you're aiming to trade upto some top of the range AI rifle pushing the 1000 yards.

If you're eyesight isn't bad I would be tempted into service rifle using irons personally.

Plenty of YouTube, bloke on the range being a good example.

It's much more challenging and a test of your ability, hell I've even been impressed by the bench rest stuff using FAC air rifles in the USA.

Edited by GarethM

I was wearing DPM waterproof trousers this morning. They work well enough. I don’t use equivalently cheap scopes. They don’t work well enough.

A lot of what you get when you buy a pukka scope is confidence. Frees up brain space to do all the other things you need to do to make a shot. Nagging doubts like that your windage clicks aren’t clicking will make you overthink and doubt yourself and you’ll talk yourself into bad wind calls. 

Edited by AHPP

I have to agree to disagree I'm afraid, whilst I will agree that anything sub £100 is usually terrible garbage.

Most rimfire and air including FAC don't need much more than £200, spend more if your a HFT tackle tart as that's usually bonkers carp fishing levels of money, whilst I envy the accuracy it just feels too clinical.

What's the quote from rush, you focus on the numbers you spoil the game.

Even your average centre fire shooter isn't doing much more than a few 2-300 yards.

Unless you next level 260Rips, then enjoy taking it out to almost a mile.

I never got fancy into scopes.... I think I remember mtc viper scopes when they first came out etc. My best scopes I had and still have one though neighbours got my shooting stuff is a Simmons white tail classic 3.5-10x50 made in Philippines probably a lot better out there now

6 hours ago, Stubby said:

As some of you may have guessed I am relatively new to full bore center fire stuff . I have been a shot gun man since the age of 14 and am close to 72 now . I can no longer lift and swing my browning Citorie O/U due to my injures . The browning has won me " mutleys " at clay shooting , served me well below the mean high water mark , Pigion shooting from a hide and game shooting ( on beaters days ) but cant do it now so I thought I would try rifles . ( bench rest / bean bag on the bonnet etc etc . ) . I have had air rifles over the years but not proper center fire guns . The Daystate Huntsman Revere  ( .22 ) has impressed me . At the indoor range I can put 11 pellets in the black ( 5p piece size ) and the grouping is so tight you can not tell how many .  (25yds) Its not my skill but the quality of the gun . I just have to hold it still ! . This has a Hawk scope . The Vector optics scope for the big gun is a 30mm tube . Its a Paragon 5-25x56 generation 2 with side focus . I looked at a cow out of my loft window that had to be 500yds away and with a twiddle of adjustment and resting the scope on the window frame ( not mounted to a gun ) the cow looked to be 40 yds away ! Anyway I appreciate all your advice on this subject . The club goes to Bisley once a month and maybe I can try it there . Regards clicks on turrets with my .22 I don't alter the zero once set , just hold over ( or under ) as it needs . 

Full bore shooting is great if you have the range time available Stubby, if you are getting up to Bisley once a month that’s not bad at all. Scope wise try “UK varminting “classifieds section , there’s loads of good quality used target/tactical scopes that come up when people upgrade etc. Get the reticle choice right and it can help massively with hold over/off etc. What 308 you using ??

I sold my Remington Armalon 308 a while back, due to take delivery of a Bergara B14 HMR next week, bit lighter but should still reach out if required and gets good write ups for the price. 
I like 223 for the range too, bit easier on the cheek compared to some calibres as you get older, but truth is I put 50 rounds of 22lr down for every full bore round I fire. 
Know a couple of lads using the Arken scopes who are very happy with the results they are getting vs cost. 

IMG_1022.png

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1