Pricing - too high?

Mark Bolam

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can think of one job a few years back we lost, job was quoted at 6500, climbers, groundies,cranes, big mog chipper, bulker to take chip away and two way lane closure. A faller went in at 4am,(to avoid delaying traffic) felled the trees, cut em to length, burned the brash on site for 400. Who was right and who was wrong price-wise? Our company didnt get the job (lost 6500) he won the job and was up 400 for one days work. Sometimes there's more than one way to skin a cat and earn a living. I think we get so wrapped in "our way is the only way" that we dont see any other way, and it can cost us work.

good post, we hav done loads of straight fells where others would dismantle, saves sso much time, even if you do have to rebuild the customers house

.......you know who you are......and i know what ur thinking.....ar...Nathans posted on here lets see how much hes charging............lol....love you.............gotta get to rozel bar soon.......:lol::lol::thumbup

What?:confused1:

Is this relevant to the thread, perhaps you could elaborate.....

Thats shocking......got one option...ring health and saftey on em..

we love ringing health and saftey over here....they drop everything and rush to the site...

Really? What would they do, tell the contractor they should charge? You dont know they have breached any HSE legislation by the given information, or do you mean you would just ring them to create hassle?

Just curious but what does an experienced climber earn in england as an employee here £60 a day after tax nat ins etc would be about the norm.[/quote

Thats crazy £120.....

Do you actually know of any full time employed climbers taking home £120 a day? That is £600 a basic week takehome after tax

£120!!!! that works out about £900 a week before tax nat ins etc

cant be right

:thumbup1:

The other thing about dropping your prices is that it is eating into your profit, and I like profit!

Not winning the work is also not great for profit.

Things are getting real tight out there, I'm having to be keen with my prices.

There is just less work about, its OK only getting half the jobs you quote, IF your getting twice as many quotes as you need.

I'm not dropping my minimum target day rate (which I never give to customers, but have in my head) in fact I've raised it £50, but I am going to be starting work earlier and trying to do more in a day, so that I earn the same but am more competitive.

The days of more work than I can cope with and easy good paying work seems to be gone.

18 stoner in breif...no not revelant but both me and said person enjoyed it.......

I would call health and saftey because i feel its unfair that fully qualified and insured people have to charge more to cover these extra expences...im asuming the people doing work for free dont have insurance ect in place...and yes i know plenty of people who earn £120 + per day

Not winning the work is also not great for profit.

Things are getting real tight out there, I'm having to be keen with my prices.

There is just less work about, its OK only getting half the jobs you quote, IF your getting twice as many quotes as you need.

I'm not dropping my minimum target day rate (which I never give to customers, but have in my head) in fact I've raised it £50, but I am going to be starting work earlier and trying to do more in a day, so that I earn the same but am more competitive.

The days of more work than I can cope with and easy good paying work seems to be gone.

Fair point Huck.

This time of year you can't go on cutting much past 4 ish, whereas in the summer if I run on till late it's not the end of the world.

All of these jobs were cold calls as well, rather than recommendation, which I find dramatically affects the acceptance rate.