How long will alder logs last?

liam

Number 2 - apart from a few woods, you can use them all on a BBQ, hot embers are hot embers, managed well you can keep a 'fire' with flames at one end and as you add fuel to this end it will push hot embers along the rest of the BBQ,,, hottest at one end, cooler at the other.

Firewood - even in the UK, just don't mention the word firewood in an advert, sell them as logs.....

All wood will sell freshly cut but for a lower price than seasoned

.. and weird this should come up, was chopping up an Alder yesterday - I'll let you know how it is to burn next year!

8 minutes ago, Stere said:

Maybe be he meant as smoker wood?

HOTSMOKED.CO.UK

Flavour Guide LIGHT Alder is a light and delicate smoke flavour with a hint of sweetness. Pair with any fish and salmon in...

Used in addition to using charcoal

Aye, it's great for smoking but you've got to take the bark off first or it makes the food bitter👍

12 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Forgive the crudeness of my work here (she’s different and better) but we love rotten alder - used some for a floor and my missus turned a lovely bowl. 

9C62D3FF-82FC-4094-BBDA-024F2F2316DF.thumb.jpeg.35cf6a743a5ac731c5369d9eea4673ca.jpeg

1D857639-9D50-4F19-8471-305890AFBC3E.thumb.jpeg.6262eaab6373b5fc52ecbd485cdbf0e9.jpeg

312CA1B8-49C9-4F51-96FA-3812597A0D9A.thumb.jpeg.63f45ea35788c39d02a9880d13ddc715.jpeg

Wow, what a bowl.  I am sure the flooring looks great - I love spalted alder.  Maybe it needs a more general photo to show the effect.

In response to durability questions - don't bother with alder for outdoor projects - despite the general belief that it is durable underwater.  Lots of timbers are durable underwater - deep in mud there may be no oxygen.

Indoors though it is great.  Not hard though, so bathroom floor it is ideal for - or bedroom.  But not a hall or kitchen or dance floor!