Side strop when cutting yes or no?

Billy

Two attachments when cutting unless there is a chance of being struck by the timber you are removing, two attachments makes it easier to control what you are doing when cutting. I never tied in twice when I first started, just used to grip with my legs, I shudder now looking back at the risks I took as a younger man, as Justin has said, climb safe.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutting, I think.

This thread is a spin off from the cut and hold thread.

But if he doesn't even have a side strop/flipline on his harness, he will have zero attachment points during the initial climb, and while advancing his anchor point. That is plain reckless climbing, in my book, anyway!

But if he doesn't even have a side strop/flipline on his harness, he will have zero attachment points during the initial climb, and while advancing his anchor point. That is plain reckless climbing, in my book, anyway!

:confused1: Why did you quote me when you made this post????????:confused1:

I in no way condoned his actions,

Dont understand your logic behind this post or how you must climb for that matter. If you cannot relay your way up a tree with a single line there has been a big chunk of your training missed. Plus the original post did not relate to how to climb, but secondary tie in when cutting the way I read it?

I will use 2 points for 95% of the time (occasionally a third but that will be just for positioning)

Correct, throwing a single line from a steady position isn't particularly dangerous imo, or even free climbing to top anchor point if its an easy enough tree why bother? if i free climb to the top sometimes i will weave in and out of a few branches on the way up so if i fall the rope should have enough friction from pulling through the branches to buy me some time...but i've not needed it yet. we all did it as kids and no one said it was bad then or on days off, so if you feel confident why not:confused1:

Billy- are you using both ends of your lifeline to climb with? Thus having 2 anchorpoints available at all times? If so you dont need your sidestrop, as the 'spare' end of your lifeline will be used when cutting. If not, then i whiolly agree with Rupes comment, and in answer to your question, I very very rarely cut without my sidestrop- only when i already have 2 anchor points, such as when branch walking etc.

we all did it as kids and no one said it was bad then :

Not everyone did it as kids - just the ones who didn't fall out of a tree and kill themselves.

All actions taken in a tree are one side of a cost/benefit equation. The cost of misjudging 'potential' hazards is often considerable and sometimes final.