Side strop when cutting yes or no?

Billy

Correct, throwing a single line from a steady position isn't particularly dangerous imo, or even free climbing to top anchor point if its an easy enough tree why bother? if i free climb to the top sometimes i will weave in and out of a few branches on the way up so if i fall the rope should have enough friction from pulling through the branches to buy me some time...but i've not needed it yet. we all did it as kids and no one said it was bad then or on days off, so if you feel confident why not:confused1:

Well if your only climbing the type of trees that a kid can climb without roping in then your not really ready for complicated things like a side strop. You'll find when you move on to normal sized trees, which have gaps bigger than a grown up between each branch that some additional climbing equipment might be useful. There are courses that might help you.

Edited by Rupe
wasn't sarcastic enough in the first place.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy- are you using both ends of your lifeline to climb with? Thus having 2 anchorpoints available at all times?

Very rarely, it is awesome have two high tie ins for super tricky stuff though.

Rupe, no need to be nasty is there, with 1 rope to swing on you can go alot further thant he length of one adult, as i'm sure you know ;)

Edited by Billy

:biggrin:

Well if your only climbing the type of trees that a kid can climb without roping in then your not really ready for complicated things like a side strop. You'll find when you move on to normal sized trees, which have gaps bigger than a grown up between each branch that some additional climbing equipment might be useful. There are courses that might help you.

I thought this was funny, Rupe, but then I saw your reason for editing! :lol:

billy can you not see wot rupe is gtting at if your not using (both ends of your rope, mainline and side strop or two mainlines) then how are you attaching your self when you are advancing up the tree because using only one line would mean that you are unattached while throwing your rope over the next branch. i know u said you like to free climb so are fruit trees a speciality of yours?

I'm liking the cut and hold thread at the moment and noticed another rule often broken was mentioned in there. So lets hear it how many of you use your side strop? i barely ever do unless i feel particularly unsafe or am struggling to get a good work position, i don't think this poses too much of a risk and saves loads of time, especially if i don't even take it up with me less to get tangled etc. what do you guys think on this?:001_smile:

pathetic

billy can you not see wot rupe is gtting at if your not using (both ends of your rope, mainline and side strop or two mainlines) then how are you attaching your self when you are advancing up the tree because using only one line would mean that you are unattached while throwing your rope over the next branch.

Exactly right, just balance and throw, if it feels safe, If it looks like i wont be able to reach the top without a side strop or other end of the rope i'll take it and use it for switch overs, then usually throw it out once i have a high anchor:confused1:

I am a little shocked at the animosity towards me for airing these views, i know for sure that other people work in this way, i've seen it...its now worse than cutting and holding...which no one got that worked up about:001_huh: