Have you ever bottled it?

gibbon

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad I found this thread, it's good to know even the seasoned climbers can have their moments.

I'm due to start my cs38 in January and I'm full if apprehension as I don't actually know how I am with heights.

I went out with a mate and blakes hitched up a pine to a 30foot ish anchor point 3 or 4 times and felt uncomfortable, but not fearful. So I've laid my initial fear to rest and eager to crack on in Jan.

That feeling of discomfort will keep you safe - it will make you check everything, twice. It means you are sane and appreciate that gravity sucks and that you dont bounce very well.

Not tree related, but in my experiences in hangliding and paragliding, the people who had accidents were quite often those who had got comfortable at their particular level to the extent that they started taking chances or lost focus on what they were doing.

That feeling of discomfort will keep you safe - it will make you check everything, twice. It means you are sane and appreciate that gravity sucks and that you dont bounce very well.

Not tree related, but in my experiences in hangliding and paragliding, the people who had accidents were quite often those who had got comfortable at their particular level to the extent that they started taking chances or lost focus on what they were doing.

Fear is the friend of exceptional people as they say

Absolutely spot on,

Once walked across a rock arch to the middle - about 2,500 foot drop, something diddnt feel right, turned around & walked back.

If something tells you its not right to go on, it probably isn't.

The view was quite good though

N

DSC00818.jpg.188c184b24c963f74f73e263ce1b8b01.jpg

Edited by NFG

but in my experiences in hangliding and paragliding, the people who had accidents were quite often those who had got comfortable at their particular level to the extent that they started taking chances or lost focus on what they were doing.

Confidence outweighs ability.... the older I get the more I understand it :blushing:

Familiarity breeds contempt....... Always treat your system as an enemy.... It will get you if you trust it.......

Chris Bonnington once said the hardest thing he ever did was to turn round and go back down when the conditions didn't feel right. That way you always get another chance. Push too hard and you may never have another chance.

We have a motto - If you find yourself thinking 'I hope.....' then stop. Re arrange the method so that you are 110% certain.

Who benefits if you push too far?

I make a effort to try and do anything remotely risky before lunch-sounds impractical and it is.

However if there is the option, do the more risky job in the morning when you are awake and alert, we all make silly decisions when we are tired and want to get home.

Spot on!:thumbup:

There was a sign in one of the arb magazines years ago.

The article concluded that a huge majority of accidents occur at or near the end of the day.

It read -

Dont make your last cut your last cut!