what would you be doing

Martyn Amos

what would you be doing now or what have you done as previous employment

before tree work?

i know some of you have always been involved in tree work from leaving school.

but what about other arbtalkers who came in at a later date,like myself.

from leaving school,i was involved in the manufacture of furniture for many years as a leather cutter,bandknife operator

like many other industries and manufacture the furniture has all gone from the uk:001_huh:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've done allsorts before i finally 'found' trees haha.. started off as an alarm fitter on an apprenticeship, i've done nightclub bar and cellarman for 3 years, assembled flat pack furniture, delivered and installed tv's and aerials, worked on a picking line in a factory, worked in the NHS for 3 years training people on IT systems, I've run my own landscaping business for 3 years.... there are also some others but i forget:blushing:

Anyway, i'm an arborist now and thats all thats important to me:thumbup: I suppose if i hadn't of done the other stuff i wouldn't be here now... god thats deep haha!!

Ran my own accountancy practice for 19 years but got fed up of sitting behind a desk all day (and night sometimes) so I decided to have a bit of a change. Certainly getting all the fresh air I need now and after 4 years of tree surgery still enjoying the work (don't really class it as "work" as I enjoy it so much).

Prior to having some crazy passion to climb trees and do the tree thing in general i was a self employed carpenter joiner, worked in some amazing places castles palaces mod sites.

crazy passion to climb trees? same here as a kid i was always the best climber,i would be the one to climb up to the crows nest[no ropes]

then i go and pass cs38/39 at 39 years old:blushing:

life dont make sense sometimes:001_rolleyes:

Qualified as an engineer but got rather disillusioned with the jobs that were on offer, so went back to college and studied environmental conservation. Worked in a Spar shop while I was in college, but don't tell anyone... worked for the pembrokeshire coast national park cutting the grass in car parks and picnic sites for 6 months one summer, then got offered the job I'm in now, site warden at a reconstructed iron age hillfort. And so ends my rather short employment history.

Traine upholstery.

Shop keeper/bicycle mechanic

Factory worker.

Foundry worker.

Window cleaner.

Farm labourer

Milk man.

Don't miss any of them.

So when your having a bad day, in the pouring rain, climbing around prickly bushes. You think back to that factory job and suddenly things dont seem to bad :thumbup: