what would you be doing

Martyn Amos

i've done allsorts before i finally 'found' trees haha.. started off as an alarm fitter on an apprenticeship, i've done nightclub bar and cellarman for 3 years, assembled flat pack furniture, delivered and installed tv's and aerials, worked on a picking line in a factory, worked in the NHS for 3 years training people on IT systems, I've run my own landscaping business for 3 years.... there are also some others but i forget:blushing:

Anyway, i'm an arborist now and thats all thats important to me:thumbup: I suppose if i hadn't of done the other stuff i wouldn't be here now... god thats deep haha!!

you,ve been about a bit rob[romany blood:lol:]

same here been a sole trader since 2008,should have done it years ago?

my granfather had all the tools,chainsaws,hedgecutters,ride on mowers and i always used to help him,so you think i would have moved into tree work/landscaping years ago

if i could turn back time:001_smile:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran my own accountancy practice for 19 years but got fed up of sitting behind a desk all day (and night sometimes) so I decided to have a bit of a change. Certainly getting all the fresh air I need now and after 4 years of tree surgery still enjoying the work (don't really class it as "work" as I enjoy it so much).

same here greg,got sick of the dead end jobs,and being stuck in a factory.

in 2006 i booked a week off work to take my cs30/31,told my boss who was a great lady and very understanding,she knew i wanted to work outside

:thumbup1:

jack of all trades, master of none springs to mind when i look back at all the jobs i had... some of the 'longer' professions i've had only seemed to last 3 years then i got bored... been doing this 4 now and boredom hasn't hit once so, fingers crossed:thumbup:

From leaving school I got a job as a greenkeeper, went through college and stayed there for 9 years working up to deputy head greenkeeper, after that I left to work on grounds maintenance/landscaping contracts as a team leader of between 3-5 guys(5 in summer) been here nearly 4 years. Work weekends at a botanical gardens/estate where I do all the tree work, chipping for pathways, coppicing, fencing etc and routine maintenance throughout summer months.

I have always loved being around tree's from an early age and would love to work full time doing tree work but there's not much around here so for the moment i'm playing it safe and staying put in my current job(wife and wee baby to look after). I'm getting some valuable experience at weekends and enjoying what I do while I earn and learn so it's all good:)

Edited by Big-Al

After two years in the RAF Regiment I said goodbye at the age of nineteen, or rather they said goodbye to me for insighting a riot....:laugh1: That was back in December 81, been doing tree work ever since.

81 i was 11 then mick,did not have a care in the world,hated school:thumbdown:but if i could go back now and the teacher said to me"martyn amos"what do you want to be when you leave school,it would not have been a fighter pilot or pop star?a tree surgeon miss:thumbup: